most power out of hx35/s400???

Izzy

what is the max power that this combo is capable of putting out? i am stuck between going with this set up or a 62-65-12/s400. i know the 62 set up is better, but how much better is it? is it just a max of 20-30 hp better? if so, i would rather build a cheaper set up by going with the hx35. any one with any hp numbers on these 2 set ups? oh, by the way, i do not want a bigger turbo than these 2. i know alot of people like putting on big turbos for the small charger but i want about as good daily driving/towing spool up as possible can get.

considering s400 is a frame size of turbo, not a turbo. its impossible to answer

with the same size S400 say a 75mm the difference is like 80-100hp top end. The 35 has a small single wastegate that becomes a problem on top end. there are ways around it but, the S300 frame is easier to modify in the future should you want more. S300s are also dual gated and handle NOS better.
Is it worth it? well, thats up to you to decide how big you are going to go.

Last edited:
difference is like 80-100hp top end.
oh wow. well that is quite a difference.

The 35 has a small single wastegate that becomes a problem on top end. there are ways around it
what ways would that be?

i appreciate your detailed answer. i am obviously short on knowledge on turbos and what works best for twins. i just want to make sure that i dont spend too much money and i dont want a lazy setup.

Do you have a HX35? with an 02 auto stock was an HY.
"on the cheap" hx35/S400 twins are good for about all most VP trucks can handle. You can play with the #s to get exactly what you are looking for for street manners and such. An external gate will work best with the 35, but porting the gate and running a 1/2" open spacer will work if you dont run NOS or plan to go crazy with it.

buildin another set now another setup i built made 500hp on a work truck and very reliable

with the same size S400 say a 75mm the difference is like 80-100hp top end.

"on the cheap" hx35/S400 twins are good for about all most VP trucks can handle.

An external gate will work best with the 35, but porting the gate and running a 1/2" open spacer will work if you dont run NOS or plan to go crazy with it.

with the right injectors, drag comp, these twins and my truck the way it is, do you think i will be able to do 650hp to the wheels on #2?

You'll need 750hp in fuel @ flywheel to make 650BHP thats not easy with a VP truck but doable with the right combo. Youll need to do some porting, a cam, springs, push rods, O-rings, studs, I dont know what you already have done but the more air the motor can flow the better, also a VP truck is limited to about 4k RPMs and you will be taxing the SOVP to its limits so expect some issues with tuning but it is doable. with the 35/475 you will have "just enough" air so...

Id would say with that 35/S400 set you would have solid 575-600hp with the right fuel. And it would perform well on the street.