Moto Metal owners look here!!!!

nummit

Do yourself a favor and check the chrome on your wheels. I have had these wheels for two years next month and in that two years they have never seen snow,salt, mud etc..anything that could damage the finish.
I run my stock wheels/tires in the winter and don't off road at all.

The chrome startrd peeling on the backside of the hub and went completely to the front of one wheel.
The prep job before the chrome is just plain awful.

BEWARE

One long piece of finish
bad_chrome_001_Small_.jpg

Nice pile of crapy chrome
bad_chrome_002_Small_.jpg

Backside of wheel where the peel started. The shiny finish is nickel

bad_chrome_003_Small_.jpg

Hard to see, but the two tone is from missing chrome. This missing piece started on the backside and made it all the way to the front.

bad_chrome_004_Small_.jpg

Yeah, some of the wheels on the market need to be kept, very, very, very clean for them not to do that.

You can always get them stripped and rechromed. But for a good quality job (5 or 6 layer) it won't be cheap.

DCSpecial said:
Yeah, some of the wheels on the market need to be kept, very, very, very clean for them not to do that.

You can always get them stripped and rechromed. But for a good quality job (5 or 6 layer) it won't be cheap.

These wheels are not worth the expense of rechroming.
You just can't polish a turd LOL so its time for some newbies

If you want a list of wheels to stay away from.....that may have the same issue let me know.
A lot of the different brands are all owned by the same company.....and all may have that same issue.

I'd recommend looking at KMCs or getting some polished Welds (Chrome Welds weren't the greatest chrome either.....may be better now with AR taking over though?). But, most Chrome Welds hold up great...just $$$$
Or American Racing.

I had a set of American Racing 20's on my truck soon as I got it...they were used less than a year and had the chrome peling all over them...I sold em for 100 bucks just to get rid of them.

$100 bux?????
I would have more fun cutting them up with a tourch :hehe:

Yeah, I think most chrome wheels (with the excepton of the high end ones....and by that I mean more expensive than Weld) aren't done too well. I know one of my Welds media blasted perfectly....cause it didn't have all the layers that it should have LOL

For lifted trucks, not many choices for a good high quality chrome wheel.
IMO, it would be best to buy a polished wheel and spend the coin to get a good chrome job done on them to assure that it lasts.

For price reference, Night Chrome (black chrome) on my 4 20x10s, center caps and lug nuts would have been just shy of $1000

You may try Lexani?

Pricey though......and I don't know anyone who has ran their wheels LOL

Chrome and aluminum wheels don't go together. The wheels flex and the chrome will come off. Not really a matter of if but when.

NOt sure who makes Panther wheels...but I've had 2 sets and both held up fine....so far.

i am running a set of extreme alloys. look just like the weld stone crusher but mine are a one piece rim. i only polish mine seldomly. with the mothers powerball, it goes quick. but i love them. dont have to worry about chrome peeling and to me they look just as good.

You take a gamble buying chrome plated aluminum wheels. Some hold up fairly well but when they start pealing it's over. All it takes is some one to change a tire and start the separation. Chrome sure looks nice but the polished aluminum wheels look good. The best are forged aluminum for strength. I think this may be why they don't like to put much off set on the cast wheels.

I also had a set of panthers and ran them all winter.....They held up great.

Ive got the black moto's and go through tons of mud, the finish is starting to wear down but id expect that from all the mud this truck sees.

50stangpower said:
do helo wheels hold up? thats what i have on mine
I have had my Helo's for a year now. I just spent a few hours polishing them up yesterday. The chrome has stared to chip off the plastic center caps. The wheels look good so far.