Motor problems, needing opinions plz

I'm working on a buddy's 02 Cali lb7, I got it in pieces so I'm not sure what it did, but he told me it was bubbling in the overflow as if it had a blown head gasket, as I pulled the injectors out, I pulled out two cups on the driver side and one on the passenger side.. I'm really just wanting opinions from ppl who know these motors n not ppl tht want to bring their post count up.. I don't have enough experience with these things to say I'm gonna replace the cups and put it back together or should I go ahead an keep going and replace the head gaskets?? Or then again could it be the cups and egr cooler? Plz let me know what y'all think on this, I'm planning on blocking the egr too, will this throw a code?? Plz let me know what y'all think about this, I've been in the 6.0's but only done a couple of injector jobs on dmax's and really don't have much experience on them so I appreciate all the help I can get

Look the cups over really good, if it looks like they are seated in the head and there is no sign of compression leaking into the head, do the head gaskets. Also look into the hole the cup came out of. We have had the cup seat area in the head rotted out.
Have the EGR cooler tested by a local radiator shop. Removing or blocking of the egr will throw codes, EFI live will take care of the codes.

Thanks! The cups had a little rusty look to them with a little build up on them but there was hardly any loctite on one and two of them didn't have any, but I have no clue on the background of this thing, just can tell it's been into before cuz of the silicone everywhere, to pull the heads I just have the bridge and manifolds n studs so if it's not the cups I'll be kicking myself pretty good lol since I was right there.. I'll go ahead and pull the heads just to be on the safe side I guess, it really appreciate your input!