motorhome with 500 cummins

morkable

Just Over Broke
Im looking at a 2003 american eagle motorhome, it has the 500 hp cummins in it. Thoughts on this engine, good bad, weak points, strong points. Any upgrades a person can do to it?

Thanks

Kevin

LOL,, the last time it was a smaller one,,, I dont know the model,, just that it is a 2003. UHMMM thats about all I know about it,, it is 4 hours away from me

The Cummins ISM500/Allison 4000 MH was a very common option, if not a standard option in that size Motorcoach. In the Transit Bus world the ISM280/Allison B400R is the best combination that you can have. Then again that big of a motor rated a 280 hp will not see any work what so ever...

I have been finding alot of coaches in this size with the 400 motor,, but I feel that with the weight of the coach, and pulling my truck and tools etc behind, a 500 would be much better

500hp Cummins? Sheesh, Roger got screwed with only 330 in his 40 footer.. :doh:.. Guess it pays to do research, cause now he's payin for it!

yeah that is my thought... I dont want to make a mistake when you spend that kind of money.

Im looking at a 2003 american eagle motorhome, it has the 500 hp cummins in it. Thoughts on this engine, good bad, weak points, strong points. Any upgrades a person can do to it?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin, after I went home last night I felt bad for helping Chris make fun of you. He's bad.LOL

That 500 ISM is a beast. The last complaint you have will be power. As a matter of fact, you'll need to watch your speed.
RV's are a huge investment, and more needy than a house. I've found most RV owners very thorough about maintenance, so you can usually be assured it's been cared for if you are buying used. Talk to them about it.

There are also many sites for rv owners, just like this one for us gear heads. Great places to read up on issues and what not.

Here's what Cummins thinks
Cummins Every Time - Motorhome - EPA 07 ISM

Are they a pretty sturdy engine? it only has 40k on it for mileage.. coach looks like it has been pretty well looked after,,