mounting allison Mt 643 to 6bta 12v

levenbad

Have a 6bta 12v and want to run larger trans with lock-up in all gears. Cummins sae #3 bellhousing on motor. Allison Dealer says I need #2 to run the mt 643 along with adapters and flex plates. Will the motor mounts need to be moved wider and also I have heard that the starter mount is on the drivers side on the #2.

can anyone give advice?

Correct, you do need an SAE #2 and associated pieces. The 643 only locks up in 3rd & 4th. I'm pretty sure you can get the bell with the starter on either side. I dont think there's even an inch difference on the outside diameter between the two.

Ok Thanks. I have talked with Allison dealer it can be made to lock up in all 4 gears since tourque isa lock up, but they have to do some work internally in trans.

Ok Thanks. I have talked with Allison dealer it can be made to lock up in all 4 gears since tourque isa lock up, but they have to do some work internally in trans.

thats true. Last week I worked on an Ottawa shunt truck with a common rail 5.9L and an Allison MD3060. Mmmm beefy. Its actually still in our shop. we're likey going to overhaul the tranny. its got blown clutches. I can rip some pics of the setup if you;re interested.

Back