MPG when towing....

Frans96ss

i just made a 800 mile round trip and i was only gettin about 10.5-11mpg thought that was pretty low.... i had vivian give me a trans. only tune.....i was towing an open trailer with about a 3k pound car on it so im guessing about 5k pounds total..... i got about 11-11.5 on the way back with no car on th trailer..... does this sound about right to everyone?

sounds a little low but depends on how hard you pushed it. I average around 13 with 10k load. John Wood tow tune

i was driving it pretty hard i guess..... about 80-95 mph in some spots....

im driving 1500 miles to texas on wed and im gonna try the tow tune and see if its any better....

I towed a mustang to baytown on Sunday. It weighs about 2700lbs. Just on an open trailer full truck on a stock tune I was getting 15 or so cruise controlling bout 70mph. And thats in a sluggish ol 7.3.

Last edited:
somss said:
I towed a mustang to baytown on Sunday. It weighs about 2700lbs. Just on an open trailer full truck on a stock tune I was getting 15 or so cruise controlling bout 70mph. And thats in a sluggish ol 7.3.

im gonna try to tow tune this time.... ill be down your way on thursday for the supra meet.....

Can't help you with tow questions..I have never towed with my truck..never even slid the hitch into the reciever

I get 11.5 mpg in my F150 empty! and 8-9mpg towing 3k... Sorry i was no help just something bring up your spirits

Frans96ss said:
im gonna try to tow tune this time.... ill be down your way on thursday for the supra meet.....
Right on. I'll prob. be at HRP all weekend for the pinks deal.

Today I towed an equipment trailer with a sealcoat machine and loaded tool box, a little under 10k. I averaged just a hair under 14 mpg. 13.78 is what I came up with hand calculated. My "mileage computer" showed 14.9, so needless to say it's a little off.