Mr.Zach

ComnRailPwr

hello my name is jake & i am cam searching. danny toops (outlaw99) referred me to you. i have been looking at your cams and diesel pros new UGL's and almost bought a helix II but i dont like Don so i passed on it. my truck is competition only. i do not have flycuts but pulling the motor and having them cut isnt out of the question. am open to running thicker gaskets aswell. as far as i know the head and block has never been decked. i pull here in the competitive ohio 2.6 class. truck modifications below. i called and talked to ryan last week but he just quickly suggested the 188/220 to me. is that really my best bet or is it just your best generally available cam? i saw somewhere on another thread something about a 188/225. basically i want the best cam to make the most power between 3-4K. opinions/quotes & your knowledge are greatly appreciated.

thanks jake.

My truck is common rail competition only 2.6 class.
Manual Transmission
4500RPM Hard Limit/Hangs 3-4K down the track.
Cam???????????
Pushrods??????
hamilton 110# springs
head is firinged
head ported and polished
Large valve seats Pressed in.
billet side draft intake
arp headstuds
EFIlive Tuned
dual cp3
300HP Sticks
water/air Intercoolers
Steed Speed T6 Manifold
billet S475 w/Race Cover
Aeromotive A1000 Lift Pump
5" Turbo Back Exhaust

Last edited:
You cant go to a thicker gasket than what the fire rings were cut for. I just came across this info when i wanted to run the 188/220 with a decked head and firerings.

In street trucks I have tuned its amazing, by far whoops on a box tuner. Haven't got my truck out from under the knife. Danny (outlaw99) has made some good power with it in his 06. For all the more tables that are released for the Cummins its a great product with a big learning curve. Will do wonders for the CR in the near future.

As far as fire rings go, I'm waiting to have the head/ block machined upon cam choice for this reason.

Jake

Feel free to call me when u get a chance Zach. I know your busy 740 TwoZeroFive 7368

Jake

Jake,

Sorry I have been on the road for a few days. I know it might have sounded like Ryan might have flipantly thrown out that you needed a 188-220 but he talks cams all day every day and has his data down pat 99.9% of the time. Last year we did a bunch of dyno runs, 8 to be exact in one day with different cams in the same truck. The 188-220 made the most power of any of our cams from just off idle to around 4200-4300. after that the 200-220 started beating it by 20-30hp up to 4700 or so. After that you have to step up to the 207-220 or got for the 220-240. There are a lot of misconceptions in the diesel world, with a lot of them related to cams. With a very few exceptions, you need to figure out the rpm you want to run down the track and then find the cam that works best in that range. In this case the 188-220 is the best.

Going to a larger camshaft will make it harder to come out of the hole, smokier, lazy and could loose you 30-50 hp in the rpm range you will be. The reason for this mostly has to do with a larger duration intake profile. The more degrees the intake is open, the less efficient the profile will be in the lower rpm. That is because the intake being open longer after bottom dead center on the intake stroke as the piston is coming up trying to make compression will push a lot of the air out of the cylinder into the intake.

This is more or less pissing in the wind. Work hard to get all of that air into the cylinder and then push it back into the intake. You can hear this with big cams on engines with the intake horn off. IT sounds like a womp womp or a thump coming out of the intake. This is also partly resposible for why big cams idle smoothly, they push a lot of the air out of the cylinder so the cylinder firing is much less violent.

The 188-220 is the cam for you, over 4200 then move up to the 200-220.

Thanks for this and the phone call Zach. No harm no foul with Ryan, I trusted his opinion. Just wanted some more info about how u guys do things around there. U cleared everything when I talked to u in person. The way I see it I'm not just buying the retailers product. I'm also making an investment in the retailers knowledge, customer service and track record. As when i buy a product I want to be able to rely on that manufacture for his knowledge of what I'm running and what I need to run. U dont Get to the top by what u know individually, u get there by knowing a team of friends and trustworthy ppl. I feel confident to say that I think your company is who I want deal with. If u could please pm me a price on the 188/220 with HD pushrods. Thanks again Zach.

Jake

Last edited: