mucho fuel VE pump

diesel_ram_man

Me and my buddy are looking at building a 1st gen pulling truck, we were looking to ppump it but that kinda fell through. He wants to spend as least as possible, so he has a buddy at a local injection pump place that might help us with some pump related parts. So i was wondering what do we need to ask for him to do in order to make a high hp VE pump? i hear talk about 14mm heads, bigger cams and such. But Im new to the VE pump, more familar with p-pump mods. So fill my head with VE pump knowledge! :bang

Last edited:
If your gonna be pullin then I think you might wanna go with a p pump down the road just cuz you can get more efficient rpm. But if you had a VE pumped puller, I think no afc lever (full fuel), 4200 governor spring, 14mm head, good fuel supply system, some 6x16 injectors and a big single, and a manual trans would do pretty good. These VE's have a lot of low end grunt and have the dynamic timing. Pulltilbroke is still rockin the VE pump in his truck and its a heck of a puller, and its just a 12mm that i know of.

You cant pull competitively with a VE. Get a peepump or go home.

Do not do the 14mm head and a 4200 RPM spring. That combo will lock up the pump.

M&H dynamic timing device
6x16's or 6x18's
4200rpm spring
good clutch
A good fuel supply. Fass, Airdog, Aeromotive 1000...

Just do a p-pump IMO. Big singles are important in pulling and you need lots of fuel and RPM with them. You cant really get both with a VE and be competitive in most areas around the country.

Do not do the 14mm head and a 4200 RPM spring. That combo will lock up the pump.

M&H dynamic timing device
6x16's or 6x18's
4200rpm spring
good clutch
A good fuel supply. Fass, Airdog, Aeromotive 1000...

Thought it was the 14mm H&R and 4mm Cam plate that was causing that??

Chris

You can run a 4200 spring and keep your rpms under 4000 or 3500. The 4200 spring just gets up a lot faster and will pull a little harder which will help spool a big single. I like mine

If I was doing it, I would use a 14mm and 3,200 spring, and lock and unlock the converter for rpm gain downtrack. You can get 3,200-3,500rpm out of a 3,200 spring if you twist the throttle linkage enough.

If I was doing it, I would use a 14mm and 3,200 spring, and lock and unlock the converter for rpm gain downtrack. You can get 3,200-3,500rpm out of a 3,200 spring if you twist the throttle linkage enough.

I saw 3700 on my autometer the other night... IF you stick with a VE don't gut the AFC, it'll run much better with good tuning.

I saw 3700 on my autometer the other night... IF you stick with a VE don't gut the AFC, it'll run much better with good tuning.

Exactly. I have been way over 4000rpm (unknowing) with a 366 spring. The 366 spring has been the one to dyno the best also.

The AFC thing is correct too. The tighter i make my AFC the better my turbo spools. I dont know why it would be any different with a bigger turbo.