my 64/13ss

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
First of all I screwed up when I bought the thing. For some reason I thought the 64 was comparable to a modified 40. The up side of the turbo is that I can't blow right through the wastegate anymore like I could on my old 64/14. In 4th gear I can actually see the EGT gauge hit 1325 and back off to 1300. And when it lites it takes off. But that's when it finally does lite. All of my turbos in the past, you could roll into it pretty easy and boost would come up. With this thing you have to nail it. It belches out a bunch of smoke, then lights and takes off, there is no rolling into the throttle. I guess I could have two otpions. I'm kind of tired of spending money on the thing. Especially since now it just sucks to tow with and can't do it worth a crap. So it could be cam and headwork time. Or a small set of twins like BD's. The twins are still a little more then the other setup. But would it be worth the extra cost in the long run?

not sure how much you tow but ive towed over 20K and im with Blue, go with the twins.

Mudn_1 said:
i might be interested in trading for a II super 62!
what's the mileage on the thing? I've got about 3k on mine now.

I tow trailers anywhere from 2k to 15k. Atleast a 62 would be a good top turbo...

Man..

Not the report I was looking for Jeff.

What the hell am I going to do now.. It seems like the 40/3b just keeps standing the test of time.

I'm running this turbo now. I dont have the spool up issues you're talking about, but what did yours come gated at? I've gotta tighten up my WG heaps to get any respectable numbers out of it. If anyone knows how to do this on a 3gen without removing the turbo or triple jointed wrists, lemmie know. LOL

Amish Elegance said:
I'm running this turbo now. I dont have the spool up issues you're talking about, but what did yours come gated at? I've gotta tighten up my WG heaps to get any respectable numbers out of it. If anyone knows how to do this on a 3gen without removing the turbo or triple jointed wrists, lemmie know. LOL
Get a ajustable boost elbo from II.

I have a 66/13ss mix and it starts to spool roughly after 1600 and comes on strong after 2000, its not to bad towing eather.

I have recently tested the HTT 64/13/71ss and also have their 66/14. the 64 spools and drives real nice on the street. But dosent make as much top end power as the 66 but the driveability was much better with it and a tight auto tranny. I believe its to small for my fuel as i have my wastegate open all the way and run an inline boost controller that works nice for making boost changes within seconds ranging from 40lbs to 55lbs. I think it would be a perfect turbo for a set of Mach 4's on a 24v

Attachments

• 80633200048080_0[1].jpg
    80633200048080_0[1].jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 163
all of my turbos in the past were of course smaller. That's why it seems laggy to me. If I had an auto I figure it'd be a great turbo, cause once it lights it's a blast. But every time I have to shift gears it just drops and I have to do it all over again. I'm sure a lot of my problems have to do with the fact that it's a 12 valve. I've been told for years that on a 12 valve, they almost always need twins to do well towing and keep the EGT's down. My head is the real problem.. As far as boost, I haven't even gone over 35 psi because I have been too lazy to re-torque the head a 3rd time :blahblah1: . A friend of mine had the 64/14/65 on his 02 with an auto, mach 4's, catcher and TST and it was laggy for him as well, but he drives like a granny. It's tough to compare one persons "acceptance" to certain characteristics I guess. I'm usually not that picky.

Really? I would tow 7k load + 8k trailer last year with either the 66/14 or the gt4294 with a 1.15 a/r wastegated and it pulled at 1150F all day long. With the 13ss housing, you should be perfect. I'm really curious how your combo is so far off. Have you slid the AFC rearward or increased tension? How much have you tweaked on the pump?

I just helped a buddy put a HTT 64 on his CR CTD. Spools darn good I thought. Manaul trans, stock sticks, stock CP3, TST and pressure box stack.

Any chance you have to much fuel down low?

JOHNBOY said:
I just helped a buddy put a HTT 64 on his CR CTD. Spools darn good I thought. Manaul trans, stock sticks, stock CP3, TST and pressure box stack.

Any chance you have to much fuel down low?
that's what I was wondering at first. So I took the delivery valves out and put stockers back in.

And Joe, I don't do any of the tinkering with the pump, a friend of mine does all of that and I have no clue what he's done to it. I'm still needing to have someone tinker with it a little more.. Lenny or Fletcher I would think.

Loosen the AFC housing and slide it towards the driver's seat. Then see how you like it.

joefarmer said:
Loosen the AFC housing and slide it towards the driver's seat. Then see how you like it.
I do know that that is all the way forward. So I'll give it a shot.

Seems kinda silly to mention it, but you'll probably end up somewhere in the middle as a compromise between smoke/bottom end power.

joefarmer said:
Seems kinda silly to mention it, but you'll probably end up somewhere in the middle as a compromise between smoke/bottom end power.
What I was thinking too....