My old man wants a little more out of his 6.0

JTProuhet

I am sure i will get scolded for this but, My father has an 06 f-350 cab and chassis 4x4 6.0 and it is getting ready to roll 100k here in another 4500miles and he wants to get a chip for it... My uncle is a ford mechanic and my dad got to talking to him about it and my uncle told him to wait till after 100k.. and then also told him to bring it in and my uncle is going to put new injectors in it before warranty is up.. He is having alittle problem with rough idle and hard start ups... So then he starts asking me about chips... and i said something about maybe a mileage programmer.. and he said he wants something that you can change the HP levels on.. I dont know much about 6.0s so i am not sure what is good and what is bad.. He said basically the only reason he wants a chip is because he cant stand the lag it has from a dead stop.. And i was telling him about the torque management on them... But what is something that would help him out on the TM problem, but not having a problem pulling a 337x Excavator (14-15k lbs) quite often... any help would be tremendous... Also what is something else that he shoudl have my uncle check out before the warranty is up... Oh my dad was also saying something that when you first start it up in the morning and go, the tranny has started doing some goofy things lately (not shifting right) So what do you guys think? Thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated... :thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2: :thankyou2:

Just my opinion here...but if he has put almost 100K miles on with no programmer, and has never had problems with puking coolant, or blowing head gaskets...I would keep it that way.

Everyone seems to wait until they are out of warranty before they chip something...why? Wouldn't it be easier to sell a truck with 20-50K miles on it with blown head gaskets? At least the rest of the truck should be in new shape.
I'm not saying to screw the dealership by claiming the gaskets under warranty, but when you have a truck with 100K miles on it, and then decide to step it up...you are asking for a world of trouble...

If your 'ol man wants a stronger truck, buy a new one...they all have more power now, then what was available at the time he bought his...and keep it stock.

Now with a new truck, he can use it for the towing duties, and step up his old truck. Then when the hammer falls, he would still have a new truck to drive around in until he can get the 'ol girl fixed again.

Just my opinion here...but if he has put almost 100K miles on with no programmer, and has never had problems with puking coolant, or blowing head gaskets...I would keep it that way.

Everyone seems to wait until they are out of warranty before they chip something...why? Wouldn't it be easier to sell a truck with 20-50K miles on it with blown head gaskets? At least the rest of the truck should be in new shape.
I'm not saying to screw the dealership by claiming the gaskets under warranty, but when you have a truck with 100K miles on it, and then decide to step it up...you are asking for a world of trouble...

If your 'ol man wants a stronger truck, buy a new one...they all have more power now, then what was available at the time he bought his...and keep it stock.

Now with a new truck, he can use it for the towing duties, and step up his old truck. Then when the hammer falls, he would still have a new truck to drive around in until he can get the 'ol girl fixed again.

Gotcha. Makes sense. The thing of it is, is.. He just bought it back in May of 08 with 75k on it. He has/had a 97 f250 7.3 that has 270k on it and he is all wrapped up in fords and my uncle told him the 6.0 would go just like his 7.3.. i tried talking him out of it being all of the trouble that i have seen with them around here and then talking to the same uncle and having him tell me about alll the turbos and head gaskets they are blowing and how many problems they are having with them...

The guy my dad bought the truck from had put a 4" MBRP TBE on it.. He never put a programmer on it.. That is the only thing aftermarket done to it is the exhaust.

Also on his truck, the brakes suck. You can push the pedal to the floor almost and they dont work very well... I have an 06 f350 srw work truck and that thing if you were to stand on the brake pedal it would lock all 4 tires up. Has anyone else had any problems with the brakes?

I guess i will just tell the old man just to leave it alone..

Personally if it was towing that much i would add a cat delete pipe, SCT with tow tunes and an EGT gauge and be done with it. all under $400 if you get a used SCT

Never seen any "generic" power adders for a 6.0 not eat the trans. Tell him an SCT with a program written for his intentions is the only way. Almost certain the adjustable power levels with the adaptive strat. used with the tranny is the cause of the issues. Even changing programs with the SCT causes the trans to relearn it's shift strat. Sometimes 100 miles or more is needed for the trans gets back to it's normal shifting.

if he wants to play tell him to get an sct with custom files from innovative diesel. they have tunes for just about anything you can imagine, from stock with just trans programming to all out race tunes. im sure he already knows this but if he lifts the heads and needs an r&r on the heads/gaskets hes lookin at big bucks out of warranty, same with the trans. but then again maybe if your hook up at the dealer can install studs before the warranty is over your chances of it holding up are a lot better. id definitly get the trans issue sorted out before doing anymore performance mods...

Ya i think i am going to tell him to leave it alone if he doesnt want to throw a bunch of money at it....