My tranny feels like a 6 speed auto ????

blowncummins

Lineman
I just got a new blown used 03 cummins. It is all back together now but the tranny shifts weird? The RPM does not seem to change between 1-2 3 changes a small amount and when the tq conv locks it takes off solid? Is this the tq cv slipping or something else. I have a Bd triple dog and do not notice any diff between stock and extreme setting. Is this programmer supposed to change shift points.

Sorry I'm used to my 12V 5 speed its easy to trouble shoot being all mechanical. Thanks for any help.

If its the Stock trans, its just blowing through the converter, and thats why your not getting any rpm change. You may want to look at a built/Billet transmission and tq converter.

the 6 shifts you feel are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd Lockup, 4th, 4th lockup

Lavon

If its the Stock trans, its just blowing through the converter, and thats why your not getting any rpm change. You may want to look at a built/Billet transmission and tq converter.

the 6 shifts you feel are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd Lockup, 4th, 4th lockup

Lavon

Feel? LOL, probably just able to hear the 1, 2, 3 shift.

Your right not much feel at all between shifts. is it supposed to be like that? What does it feel like when to tq conv is slipping and what do you meen by blowing through the converter. I'm trying to get the best bang for my dollar. My turbo is in need of replacing it has bad seals bearing, uses oil on a new long block.

Anyway I dont want to do the turbo and really smoke this tranny.

From sounds of it you need a new trans, I'd call Dave Goerend and get me one on the way. Dave can tell you what you need depending on how much power you want to make.

What is the diff between trannys like Georend, Suncoast, ATS, ect... some only offer 100k warrenty and some offer 3-500k. the prices do not vary too much between them. I am not sure what hp this will make with the 90hp nozzles, programmer and soon new turbo ( pondering a silver 62 ). I just want to do it right so I wont have to do it twice.

Does a triple disc TQ make it shift harder or is it in the VB? And is a 5 disc really much better?

The triple disk is plenty. Dave Goerend will treat you right. He makes a great tranny.

If your trans is having a governor pressure problem it will start out in third gear and with stock stall torque converter it is still drivable. Do you feel the shifts when you rev it out in each gear manually shifting it from 1 to 2 to Drive. Also you should make sure the front band isn't out of adjustment or have a broken anchor. A worn band that hasn't been adjusted will cause the symptoms you are describing. You can adjust the front band without dropping the pan. torque it to 72 inch lbs and back it off 1 7/8's turns and tighten the locknut.

Also on the triple dog not working properly. At our shop i wont recomment a triple dog to anyone with an 03 Cummins because half the time they do not work properly. Sometimes they will add no power gain and make the truck sluggish on the top end. Have contacted bullydog about it a few times a couple years ago and they had no explaination for it.

Kyle sdp thanks for the advise. But where is the adj located on the trans. Ive noticed when the truck is cold it shifts good but when it gets warmed up it starts to slide into gear.

Are any of you running a Georend 48re and how do you like it.

Just tried shifting it manually and the rpms drop every time I shift it feels real good that way. Now what does that mean. Could I get by with a vavle body and TQ?

My turbo is in need of replacing it has bad seals bearing, uses oil on a new long block.

I know this is a tranny thread but I would not be using a turbo that is using oil on a new motor. Your asking for a runaway and if that happens your gonna need another motor if you dont get the bastard stopped.