My Version of a Fuel System

Diesel_Weasel

THE Lurker
Hey guys, I dont post much (this is my first), but I lurk ALOT.

After scanning fuel system posts for days on end and having some knowledge from efi mustangs... I built a fuel system that is a true 1/2" (-8 an) size throughout, with the only exception being the 3/8" ports for the regulator and the 12mm inlet on the cp3.

The system starts with a 1/2" pickup and then travels to a napa water separator (5 mic), then to a 392 gsl walbro pump, then to a 2 mic GDP filter, then to the tee on the cp3 and to the aeromotive regulator. From the regulator it is returned back to the tank and meets up with the return from the rail through a GDP stock canister filter elminator.

I did not like how a lot of systems just deadhead into the cp3, this method could trap air at the injection pump in my mind. I used a -8 an tee fitting to pass the fuel (under pressure) by the cp3 and to the regulator which has a -8an bypass return to the tank.

The system holds 20 psi just fine, I am sure it would hold more, but from my understanding it just needs some.

I'll get pics up in a lil bit.

Anyways... HI :Cheer:

Jason

DSCN0851.jpg

DSCN0852.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg

Couple questions for those in the know...

Which pin or wire from the computer controls fuel pump operation on a 2005?

Is there anything to gain using the boost reference on the fuel regulator? The function works as a 1:1 increase in fp for every psi increase in manifold pressure.

Thanks

Couple questions for those in the know...

Which pin or wire from the computer controls fuel pump operation on a 2005?

Is there anything to gain using the boost reference on the fuel regulator? The function works as a 1:1 increase in fp for every psi increase in manifold pressure.

Thanks

orange wire with a RED tracer for the stock lift pump power....

nice job man. I have 1/2" lines myself and the amount of fuel moving through the line is unreal. I didn't use a regulator or air filter.... just went through the stock housing to retain the fuel heater/water sep.

I think you'd have to really be moving some fuel to worry about a boost reference. You truck should be fine on 20psi and wouldn't need anymore unless you start changing injectors

here's mine although I've since changed to a Raptor pump but, it's in the same location.... you're was definitely more cost effective !

walbro2.jpg

orange wire with a RED tracer for the stock lift pump power....

thanks, that was easy AND fast... had a post sitting in cummins conversions for a while now >< Is this wire directly off the computer? (notice I dont own a dodge :))

I know in the mustang world... 1/2" pickups were kinda shunned as being an improper way to supply fuel to a pump. I looked at putting a sump under my tflow tank, but that would be REALLY low for a 4x4 that will be used offroad. Anyone seen any differences from a sump and pickup setup?

Thanks

nice job man. I have 1/2" lines myself and the amount of fuel moving through the line is unreal. I didn't use a regulator or air filter.... just went through the stock housing to retain the fuel heater/water sep.

I think you'd have to really be moving some fuel to worry about a boost reference. You truck should be fine on 20psi and wouldn't need anymore unless you start changing injectors

here's mine although I've since changed to a Raptor pump but, it's in the same location.... you're was definitely more cost effective !

walbro2.jpg

I actually looked over your system quite specifically :evil Thanks for the reply

thanks, that was easy AND fast... had a post sitting in cummins conversions for a while now >< Is this wire directly off the computer? (notice I dont own a dodge :))

I know in the mustang world... 1/2" pickups were kinda shunned as being an improper way to supply fuel to a pump. I looked at putting a sump under my tflow tank, but that would be REALLY low for a 4x4 that will be used offroad. Anyone seen any differences from a sump and pickup setup?

Thanks

oops I did not notice you had a Ford....I dont know what wire is power for the lift pump on a Ford I would have to look it up....but on a 05 dodge it is orange with red tracer and it goes from the fuel tank up the frame rail and into the PDC under the hood...Then I think it goes to the ECM
sumps are cool for race cars and trucks but you will still have sloshing problems with a sump imo.....I have had great luck with my Stock fuel tank.
canister moded for a 1/2" pick-up...here is what I did with my stock dodge canister for a pick-up..I also plumbed my return line back to the canister to help keep the canister full of fuel..even when the fuel tank is low(under1/4 tank)
IMG_0568.jpg

sendingunit1.jpg

hrm... anyone have a 05 truck they can trace the wire from the pdc to their computer and get back to me?

Right now, the po has the fuel pump trigger coming from ford ecm control. Seems silly to have the ford computer in the truck for such a simplistic task that could be controlled by the cummins ecm.

Thanks

Jason

Back