mysterious oil leak

dangerous06

diesel tech
OK so I'm stumped by a leak at the rear of the motor. Went as far as dropping tranny! AND Tranny mounting plate! Rear seal is dry slightly damp at bottom.
Cam seal is dry Seems to come from the back corner Pass side above the oil pan down the back of the tranny plate. just appears out of nowhere! If the rear main was leaking wouldn't there be a oil sling behind the flex plate? Here are a couple pictures!

20160325_134512.jpg

20160325_134719.jpg

20160325_134542.jpg

Customer says it leaves a silver dollar spot everytime! The trans mount cross member is wet and it left a spot when parked in the driveway! So I tore it down but no smoking gun! Could it be the rear main just a small leak??

How bad is the leak? And most of the time there will be oil on the back of the flywheel/flexplate if the seal is leaking bad enough. Prob would be best to spray everything down with brake cleaned and install bell housing plate, starter and flex plate and start it up so the leak shows its face again and you can clearly see where it's coming from. It's hard to tell from the pictures.

OK Got it! Made in China! rear main leaking at outer edge where it goes into aluminum housing! Sealed great at crank but was leaking at edge! Damn it!

NOPE that wasn't it! Still leaking! But there's nothing there! I looked at the back of another motor and there is a plug on the Pass side behind the tranny mount. and a couple threaded holes but nothing that goes thru. Has anyone had an issue with that plug?

Back