NArrowing a DAna 70

Supershot

Those who have narrowed a 70 or 80 for racing and put ford ends on. What axles and spool did you go with? I am debating whether to narrow my 70 or run a 9in.

Just asking dose any one make 8 lug axle shafts for the 9in? What kind of power can be put to the 9in

A properly built Ford 9 will handle a lot of power, it's limiting factor will be the vehicle weight. A full size truck is a bit much, you need something seriously lightened.

I think weight could be a slight problem. So i think I will narrow the 70. What axles and spool would work best with ford ends?

WHY
The 9 inch ford is tough; Project X has one, and its 415 lbs lighter. It’s stronger if you know the right way to build it. Charlie Stewart doses a great fabricated housing.

The neat part about a 9 inch is gear selection; I run a 4.33 gear, this helps move the mass , and takes a load off the transmission, I’m thinking about going to a 4.56 gear , this with the 28.5 tall tires make for some hard pull out of the hole. Charlie can get 8 lug axles, but I would leave it 5 lug and change the front to half ton. The total weight reduction is over 500 lbs.

WHY
The 9 inch ford is tough; Project X has one, and its 415 lbs lighter. It’s stronger if you know the right way to build it. Charlie Stewart doses a great fabricated housing.

The neat part about a 9 inch is gear selection; I run a 4.33 gear, this helps move the mass , and takes a load off the transmission, I’m thinking about going to a 4.56 gear , this with the 28.5 tall tires make for some hard pull out of the hole. Charlie can get 8 lug axles, but I would leave it 5 lug and change the front to half ton. The total weight reduction is over 500 lbs.

It's tough Greg, no doubt, buuuuuttt...... you are talking a custom fabricated housing etc. I think he is talking about a regular ole' Ford 9 rearend??

If I would do a 9in it would be a fabbed housing. I am just looking at it from a money standpoint right know and I think building a fabricated 9in. is gonna run quite a bit of money. That is something I could always do in the future.

Gregg Does the half ton front suspension bolt up? What changes have to be done?

The front uprights are a bolt on , and your done , I like the Fab housing , , but if you put a good set of ends and a brace , along with 40 spine axles , it would work fine up to 600 of 700 hp. People spend a lot of performance bolt on’s , but if you remove 10 % weight , the results are dramatic, and it’s not just 415 lbs of weight , but unsprung weight , this is weight that is no help in planting the tires.

We have done several dana 70 and 80 and there are several options for the budget racer. I will be out in montana at the big sky truckfest this weekend but either pm me or give me a call and i can give you several options

I wound up using a ford Sterling 10.5 with 35 spline axles, its beefy to say the least.

deranged_axle_6.jpg

Narrowing a Dana 70 is the way to go for a dual purpose truck that will see weekend duty at the race track.

I remember a certain site favored sponsor who took out his factory rear- installed a fabricated rear- AND COULDN'T HOOK UP FOR CHIT!!!! This site favored sponsor then had to comphensate for the weight removed from installing this fabbed rear by strapping in some 200lbs of tractor weights in order to get some needed traction...........

Stick with the 70- it'll help plant them tires- and you can mod them up just fine.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
And don't forget all the leaks, Once again, we should be trying to hook-up our diesel family members with quality components instead of directing them to a buddy for a fast buck…:rockwoot:

........ I recall someone paying premium dollars for one of the above mentioned fabricated 9" rears and had a custom fabbed housing THAT LEAKED gear oil..........................:bang:bang:bang

So where is the best place to get half ton front suspension? So could I run tubular uppers and lowers that are made for a half ton?

Look into DJM Suspensions or Chassis Tech. On my Pro Street build-I have the Chassis Tech upper and lower arms and I like the lowers with the 2" drop built in, but honestly I am not too impressed with the design of their uppers. I may have to jig up my own as I really don't feel that comfortable in their uppers- Thats just me though....

Your pro street truck is a 1/2 ton right? I guess what i'm getting at is will these components work on a 3/4 ton? What would need to be removed? I am thinking of going to coilover