National Points Series

IdahoRob

Comp Diesel Sponsor
After seeing so many people travel to different divisions throughout the race year and not able to make the worlds because of breakage, or break at the worlds, how about a true series.

This way being the labeled the "World's Best" takes more than one event. Look at NHRA, Nascar, etc.

Not sure how it should work, but think this would be a good way to get some more trucks at each event. I know many competitors that run 3 divisions or more a year and feel they should be rewarded for this commitment.

What say you?

Would be a good way to not limit your competitors in the final race as well. I think its kinda dumb to limit a class like P/S to invite only when there are not that many P/S trucks to begin with.

One thing to think about is that even though it is invite only, in most divisions, if you show up to 1 race and make 1 qualifying pass(break the beams and back out if you want....) then you will be invited. The issue isn't the "limited" number of invites, its the limited number of people that step up and accept the invites and show at the world finals.

I do like the idea of a national points series, just not sure if we are big enough for that yet. There are a select few that have the resources to make a bunch of races through out the year. I think you will see more attendance at the finals if we continue as we are for at least a few more years. If you make it a national points series, I think the world finals will lose attendance since people won't be as driven to get that World Champion title.

One thing to think about is that even though it is invite only, in most divisions, if you show up to 1 race and make 1 qualifying pass(break the beams and back out if you want....) then you will be invited. The issue isn't the "limited" number of invites, its the limited number of people that step up and accept the invites and show at the world finals.

Thats great but for me to just "break the beams and back out" I would have to drive about 7 hrs to the closest NHRDA event and happen to have the truck ready to go out there at that time as well.

If the issue is people dont "step up" and accept the invites then dont make it an invite only so you can fill the classes. If it were points then if they are in the race for the points title then show up and try to win it, or anyone else can also race and try to win the actual race without a dog in the points race.

I am kinda outspoken about this because I had every intention to attend the Finals had rooms and everything then found out I would have to compete in a bracket class if I wanted to race. 9 second truck that does wheel stands in a bracket class.. I stayed home and didnt waste my fuel. I am also sure there were more that would have attended but did not because driver/qualifing rule or just not making any other NHRDA races.

Diesel racing is not big enough to put competitor limits on ANY race. Great show when a Nationals event has 10 competitors a class.

I hear ya. It is a tough decision for all and you can never make it perfect for everyone. As far as the closest race, I drive 4.5 for the closest one, and the second closest in my division is 9 hours away and all I'm running is a high 15 second daily driver.

I do agree that a National Points Series would be a good thing, but I think you proved the point that people aren't willing to drive a long distance to a "regular" race yet. The World Finals provides a playground for the top competitors from across the nation to meet at 1 race to show what everyone's got. Until people are into this sport enough to travel with a points series, I think going that direction will hurt the sport and people won't be as interested in going to a "Finals" if they don't have a chance to take the big kitty. It will end up being a select few that are competing for the top spot and discourage others from joining the ranks.

One thing that I hear so many people complain about is that the prize purses aren't worth the drive. I think this is one of the stupidest statements that I hear out of people. Do people not understand that if you don't show up that the prize money isn't going to increase? Obviously I don't have all the answers and this is just my $.02, but I don't think the sport is ready for a National Points Series yet.

I do agree that there needs to be more given to the guys that place 1st and 2nd at the divisional level.

Last edited:
I competed in every race in Divisions 1, 2, 3, and 6 this year. Social Security is my primary sponsor. Granted, if my focus is racing, I don't have the resources to do anything else. It takes a lot to commit to supporting the NHRDA. It takes a lot of sacrafice as well.

Jim

Thats great but for me to just "break the beams and back out" I would have to drive about 7 hrs to the closest NHRDA event and happen to have the truck ready to go out there at that time as well.

If the issue is people dont "step up" and accept the invites then dont make it an invite only so you can fill the classes. If it were points then if they are in the race for the points title then show up and try to win it, or anyone else can also race and try to win the actual race without a dog in the points race.

I am kinda outspoken about this because I had every intention to attend the Finals had rooms and everything then found out I would have to compete in a bracket class if I wanted to race. 9 second truck that does wheel stands in a bracket class.. I stayed home and didnt waste my fuel. I am also sure there were more that would have attended but did not because driver/qualifing rule or just not making any other NHRDA races.

Diesel racing is not big enough to put competitor limits on ANY race. Great show when a Nationals event has 10 competitors a class.

Uh no disrespect to what you have done with your truck and all but 8 hr drive being your closest race excuse just to break the beams and get an invite is pretty weak. Heck I drove 10 hrs to a small event put together by B&G in Amarillo to run E.T. and support the sport. I'm no rich man by any means and have a crappy work schedule being away from home half the year but managed to make an event to qualify. The PS truck broke and couldn't get it together in time for the WF's but still loaded up the wife to go let her run in E.T. and support the sport.

Again I hope you don't take this as a bash as its not meant to be but just how I see it. $.02

I competed in every race in Divisions 1, 2, 3, and 6 this year. Social Security is my primary sponsor. Granted, if my focus is racing, I don't have the resources to do anything else. It takes a lot to commit to supporting the NHRDA. It takes a lot of sacrafice as well.

Jim

I'm glad you made it to all those races Jim. How many races are in division 1, 2, and 6? Because there was a whopping 1 in division 3. I have to give a lot of you guys, especially the Canada guys, tons of credit for being able to make all those races. It's getting harder and harder with the price of fuel and everything else. By the way, were you at Topeka this year? I looked for your truck but never saw it. Maybe I just missed ya.

I'm glad you made it to all those races Jim. How many races are in division 1, 2, and 6? Because there was a whopping 1 in division 3. I have to give a lot of you guys, especially the Canada guys, tons of credit for being able to make all those races. It's getting harder and harder with the price of fuel and everything else. By the way, were you at Topeka this year? I looked for your truck but never saw it. Maybe I just missed ya.

There were 3 races in Divisions 1 & 6, 2 races in Division 2, and, yes, only 1 race in Division 3 for a total of 9 races. I was there, pitted next to Randy's trailer in the Sportsman pits. I pulled the same stunt as I did last year - RED LIT 1st round. My wife says - ONE AND DONE! I did manage to get my street tires on before it started raining and was able to watch more racing than usual after the rain stopped.

Jim

I like the idea, but we'll have to see what there is going to be for races next year.

It is damn expensive to travel with the cost of fuel. That was the main reason I decided to drive White Out to Topeka, I saved about $900 in fuel cost by doing so. I also didn't race Super Street for fear of breaking. Love the 11.90 class, really puts the driver back in the game.

I'm hoping to have my truck ready for 11.90 next year! I had some Tranny setbacks this year!

Yeah I think I am going to try and move the wife up to the SD class next year she was pissed that I dialed back the truck for the SM class....

This has been talked about in the past I believe. I seem to remember Randy saying he really didn't have the personel to handle the "tracking" of points. I may be wrong on this so do not quote me.

I will say I like this idea. I think with a little brain storming, it could work well. I'm sure there is a way to create a point system in Excel too...

I think the Points Nazi would be up to the task!!

I would have to agree with Rob and Beans on this though. Get the people there and put on a good show, that's what it's all about.

The points nazi may not be able to handle the additional work. Seems his current workload is detrimental to his ability to cut any light but RED.:stab:

Back