Need A 4wd Guru!!!!!!

woodsrat

NEW ERA DIESEL
Lost vaccum on the black line coming out of the transfer to the axle after having the transfer seperated for the tranny. What is not back right. Still have vaccum on the red line. Snow is going to be here soon:bang

Chuck

re check all your lines on top of the t case and also going up to the disconnect also check for vaccume hoses that might have come lose in the engine compartment

Chuck sounds like the "plug" on top of the transfer case isnt on right. or a line came loose. they should all be rubber going into the transfer case so I wouldnt think that a line could be cracked. I would just check all the lines and connections close to the t/c.

What they have said, if worse comes to worse you might have cracked the switch valve they all plug into.

There is one hose that goes from the vacuum line on the drives side firewall down to the transfer case. There are four coming from the transfer case. 1 is the vacuum source (from the firewall) one is a vent and the other two are 2wd and 4wd. The vent comes back up where the source vacuum is and the other two go to the crossmember where they hook to steel lines. The steel lines go to the CAD (Center axle disconnect). The one twards the drivers side is 4wd and should have vacuum when the shifter is moved to 4HI or 4LO. The one on the passenger side should have vacuum when in 2wd.

I would start at the supply. if it is hooked up and has vacuum then check for vacuum at the CAD (On the right line in 2wd and on the left in 4wd).

Could be as simple as the vacuum connector on the transfer case was not plugged in correctly or completely.

Everyone has good points. I will check it all in the am again. But here is the one I dont understand. I have vaccum on the red (2wd) line when I trace the black (4wd) line back to the transfer (4 line block) i have no vaccum there on the 4wd line but have it on the 2wd one.

Chuck

when you put it in 4x4 you lose vaccuum on the 2x hose right? if not it could be a bad switch in t/c.

woodsrat said:
Everyone has good points. I will check it all in the am again. But here is the one I dont understand. I have vaccum on the red (2wd) line when I trace the black (4wd) line back to the transfer (4 line block) i have no vaccum there on the 4wd line but have it on the 2wd one.

Chuck

Cut out the middle man, just put it in 4wd and see if you have vacuum at the front axle on the drives side port.

dodge359 said:
Cut out the middle man, just put it in 4wd and see if you have vacuum at the front axle on the drives side port.

No I do not. That is why I traced it back to the transfer to see if there was a leak and I have no vaccum at the transfer case in the 4wd line.

I will check it like you said mark but think I did that yesterday and it was no vaccuum when in 4wd. cant remember.

Wouldn't jacking up the truck, putting it in 4x4 and check if the front drive shaft is spinning isolate weather it's at the CAD or Transfer Case?

Drive shaft spins/Check CAD
Drive shaft doesn't spin/something in the Transfer case.

Just a guess, don't know for sure.

Well pulling the transfer in the morning. 4x4 light is going on and off all the time now. going to put in a new switch it locked in everytime i used it today.

I was wondering about that I will try and get it out without pulling the T/C then.

Chuck

Should be no problem. The switch is only in there about 1" to 1 1/2", the vacuum plug on top sticks up about 3". Once thats unplugged you should have room to spare.

Check the clocking on the plug on top of the xfer. I know it was a biatch to plug back in the first time I did it. Maybe you are 90 or 180 out?

Back