Need advice for my 250 build (engines)

Pbguy420

Ok guys I've got a 2001 f250 7.3l 4x4 that ive put a bit of work into and am not fully happy with where I'm at.

My tranny is drivable but shot and I can't put much power to the ground due to slippage in every gear. I've got 227k on it. Engine SEEMS ok, I'm no mechanic, the only code I'm showing is an injector circuit contribution problem in 8th cylinder and I'm thinking bad injector...

Since im looking at a new tranny (bts) I want to debate my engine options now while I have some money....

I want a truck that's a dd, that I can take to the track and perform well 500-600 hp, but also be able to tow about 5k trailer without problems and also be able to have fun offroad.. I know it will likely not be a Baja truck any time soon but I'm more into running trails than mudding and the front end of this girl is HEAVY, when I hit hard bumps....

Since im going to have to build whatever engine I drop in I'm looking at my options. I know the 7.3 is reliable as hell but it's heavy and expensive to build power on... I've got about 12k to put in right now, 4500 for a bts tranny and the rest on my build... Advice between 6.0 or maybe 5.9 cummins or building my 7.3 and further beefing suspension would be appreciated.... I want the best of all worlds so I need to build her right....

Here's what she's got so far

Dp tuner
5 in exhaust no muffler
6637 filter
Isspro gauges
Icon 4"lift icon springs front b code swap rear
Toyo mt 35"s

Lots of newer 250 parts for looks
Mirrors, lights etc

I don't want to buy a new truck cause mine looks just the way I want to with all the small odds and ends and I don't want to worry about that on a new truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12v conversion or find a forged 7.3 long block. Either option you're going to be spending some coin for 500 ponies.

Do the 5.9 12v and don't look back. You can make your HP goals with an almost stock motor.

First look and see what rods are in yours.

12v conversion is gonna blow your budget.

But swapping in a forged 7.3 and then modding it to 500 won't?

Not if his already has forged rods? Not every 01 was a pmr motor holmes, you know this.

Any motor swap even of the like will blow the budget.

I'd definitely put a good tranny in it first, you might be surprised with the power you have.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

ya i already have the 7.3 im looking later today to find out what kind of rods i have... you all think i can do it better with the 7.3 thats already in it?

ya i already have the 7.3 im looking later today to find out what kind of rods i have... you all think i can do it better with the 7.3 thats already in it?

Within your budget YES, if it is a pmr motor I would go ahead and do trans but then wait to add more power untill the budget allowed for a engine swap (at that point I myself would even consider the cummins)

If you have forged rods.....I wouldnt hesitate throwing some fuel/air at it. 5-600 hp will holdup well and can be done for relatively cheap.

For high hp 7.3's valve springs. apr studs. push rods.. 238cc injectors .. turbo... fuel system.. theres more but you get the jist

for the love of god if you do a engine swap do something other then a 12v.. I owed one.. there smokey.. clunky.. loud.! not to mention everyone wants to do it.. ( good luck finding a low(er) mileage 12v that hasnt been cracked into yet. Id put a vp44 in there .. a CR.. duramax.. not to mention there like the SB350 of the diesel world.. everyone wants one... everyone thinks they can build one ..

stick with the 7.3 and build it up to your hp goal. just save up and build it right the first time. No need to do the conversion, it's better to stand out from the growing crowd

i'd stick with the 7.3 as well. i agree with the above statements, everyones got billy joe jackin with there p pump to make it smoke. you probly could reach your power goal cheaper with a cummins but the cost of swapping wouldn't be cheap and you wouldn't know what your getting. you know what you've got with your engine that you have had for awhile and i think with how great the tuning is these days you will be ok if you have the forged rods. it would be cooler to have a good runnin 7.3 in my book but thats just my 2 cents

My buddy has a 05 250 that he bought with a 12v in it. Nice truck motor is built ... its got a built tq shift.. although its sitting 10 inches on 38's on 24's it does move for its size but it hazes daily driving.

He's running 5x18a injectors custom cut 131dv's 24* of timing. 64/14 turbo. Balanced/ flowed pump. It smokes like a train.!!! And it doesn't peg and hold you in the seat.

What im saying is bigger isn't always better ... and sometimes cummins isn't the way to go..

Back