Need advice from 6.7 owners.

polk5295

Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a new left over 08 6.7 automatic megacab. I would like to get some overall opinions from some 6.7 owners. i would like to know about your experiences with reliability, power, mpg, response to mods and any other grips or complaints. Thanks in advance.

Andy

I love my 6.7 very good motor and it is starting to get cheaper to mod them now. When mine was stock I was not real impressed poor mileage and got very hot, oh and I can not forget the check engine light every week. Once I got the truck the way I wanted it was fine way more power and pretty good mileage. It pulls really well and it is not too noisy, I hope that helps

Great trucks. In stock form the MPGs will likely be low. Ridding the Emissions Noose will help that improve. Air in + Air out = MPGs

love my 6.7, the only thing i had go bad was the turbo and never had another problem.

buy it you will love it

What kind of mileage are people seeing with the emissions crap still on it?

the best I saw was 15 and the low was 10, compcowboy is right emissions noose kills it. But that was all with less than 5k on the motor after that lots of stuff decided to move to my garage and my mileage got a lot better

14.7 was the best I could get until I took everything off now at 60MPH with cruise on 20plus is possible on flat

Best I ever saw was 18 on mine raw. But with a few mods, I saw 21.5 running through the hills. I did 14.4 this weekend with 10,000 pounds at 70 MPH. But I have a big windbag for a trailer too.

If you can deal with the poor quality control on the under carriage, you can get it up there

Not 100% certain if I can blame the regen or not, but my neighbors new 6.7L did light 350 round bales on fire a few months ago. I guess I'd be careful if the truck is off road a lot. $.02

I wish i still had my 5.9L...

I would get a low mile 07 or 06 5.9 if I was you ..

This thing with the DPF on it is a turd...

I wish i still had my 5.9L...

I would get a low mile 07 or 06 5.9 if I was you ..

This thing with the DPF on it is a turd...

Yeah. . .That's a whole new debate.

The 6.7 is 48 more cubes than the 5.9. As the saying goes, "there's no substitute for displacement". Most of us mod the exhaust anyway, so that can be done. . . Just choose the appropriate exhaust system fooler.

The other thing is disconnect the EGR. Then you have a runner and the MPG will go up. Most of the time I have seen the MPG exceed the 5.9 with just those two modes.

And it won't blow anything up or cause a 5 alarm fire either. :hehe:

I dunno. . .This is my 19th Dodge Cummins. With the shtuff off of it, I like it the best of all of them. Even when not running a tuner, it runs much better than my 04 did.

I have more power and get better MPG. The DPF is a big FUBAR on Cummins part. But it is what we can be expecting. . . These trucks aren't going to last forever. . . .

But you can bet they'll be screwed up even more after 2010