Need advice!

M_cummins09

Here's the thing guys! I have a 2000 24 valve that I'm interested in sled pulling! I don't know alot about this! What should I do? What needs to be done? What class is recommended?

Depends on how deep your pockets are.

LOL! There is the first thing you have to decide. How broke (u and ur truck)do you want to be! LOL Dont get me wrong I had fun doing it for A summer but my heavy foot over came my wallet. Give some more info on your setup and what you want to do and these guys can give you a good starting point.

I'm Thinkn 2.6 class. I wanna be competitive, but I'm not gonna go all over to do it. And, I would still like for it to remain road legal.

depending on your location, you should try the local fair circuit first in the "stock" class. This way you can figure out if this is for you before you spend mega bucks on your truck.

k there lies your prob depending on your location most places 2.6 class to be competive trucks arent gonA be streetable

Right now it just has a smarty, and a hot rod pump! My next plans are injectors and a turbo! I recently put a zoom clutch in! I hope this clutch holds up!

Right now it just has a smarty, and a hot rod pump! My next plans are injectors and a turbo! I recently put a zoom clutch in! I hope this clutch holds up!

Id get something else for a chip besides the smarty then want to make some traction bars also to start out

Work stock would be the way to go if you still want the truck to be streetable. But either way you go, buy another truck to drive or build. Don't use your daily driver. Been there done that.

If you are just gunna run fair pulls you can get by with a bigger charger. If the fair pulls are the same as they are here throw on a set of twins and some water/meth LOL. But get a set of bars made, bump stops, if you have a D70 get a D80, HD 241, reinforce your hitch, a good clutch, get an Edge box to run with your Smarty and dont try to spin third gear out LOL. LIFT LIFT LIFT But if your foot is anything like mine it gets heavier as the truck slows down. :doh: You have a manual my bad. As Kino Fab said a second truck.

3.88?!?!?! where did you get that kind of gearing? If its factory it will either be 3.54 or 4.10

For some added advice, there are some sticky threads in this section at the top of the page. READ THEM!!!

Last edited:
How many RPM's you run at 60 mph in 5th without the Smarty adjusting for tire size? 1800 or just above 2000? Get a Redline for programming. Injectors, well, how hot of EGTs can you stand to look at? Need to zoom that clutch on down the road and put something in it that will hold. What tires you going to run? Size? Wheelbase? More info, the better...

As kino_fab said, the sticky's are your friend.

I am located in Webster county ky! (western ky)

Welcome. I am just right up the road from you. Spend some time searching here there is a ton of info. Even workstock around here has alot of purpose built trucks. Good luck with your build.