Need Getrag Help

biggy238

I finally got to run the trans I built for my brothers truck today. It doesn't even try to sync on the 3-4 shift. I don't know what is wrong for certain.

The problem I did have, the ball detents on the 3-4 collar had overheated springs, which I didn't find until the unit was assembled and I was shifting through the gears with the top off of the case. Myself and a friend got two of the detents back in, and the third seemed o.k. It looks like the spare springs I had were collapsed also.

We put the trans in the truck about a month ago, and when we got the shifter back in, the collar hung up, and two of the detents came out. We fished the parts out and buttoned the truck up today. (we had to source a driveshaft)

The transmission sounds great. Everything sounds good on the road, but there is absolutely no synchronization going up to 4th or down to 4th.

What have I missed or overlooked? Looking at the breakdown, I'm thinking it was something to do with the input shaft, because I don't know if I used the one from the 2wd trans or the original from the damaged 4wd. I used the main cluster from the 4wd without making any changes, just a thorough visual inspection, minus the detents it needs to have.

We're going to pull the trans when the weather turns for the better, but that may be a while. He is going to drive the truck limitedly to get some body work done, but no hot rodding, and not if we're directed not to operate it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just don't have enough experience with these to know what's wrong without having it out on a table top.

Kyle

This doesn't look good. Either no-one is intimate with the getrag or i'm too foolish to be spoken to.

Definately too foolish. I picked up the parts left over and put the input up to the main cluster. I've left out the forward synchro ring when I installed the input shaft. dumbass....

Glad you got it figured out. I dont get over her every often, so I didnt see it til today.

Dan