Need help ASAP

dodge.01grizzly

Have an 07 5.9 commonrail. Installed 90hp nozzles back in January maybe (been a couple months atleast). Also has a Mp8 100hp tuner on it. (just the dial kind) Ran great for me...until today. Took off from a stop sign, got up to about 60mph, easy throttle, dial on the Mp8 turned about half way since i fueled the truck up two days ago. Wasnt getting into it at all, made a jerk/bump/kinda pop, and now it doesnt run smooth and has very power, specially if I try and give it throttle. Luckily i was only two miles away from where i needed to be so i was pretty much able to coast to a stop. Threw the check engine light, so i at first thought maybe some sensor, but im leanin more towards maybe a bad injector. Just wandering what everybodies thoughts are...appreciate any info.

How many miles on the truck? I'm no expert but it does sound like you lost an injector.

120,000...Bought the tips from you Purn, back whenever that was. In NO WAY putting blame on you tho, tips looked good, worked great for me. Appreciate the help. Going to get a code reader tommorrow, do you know if that will tell me which injector it is if it is an injector?

I want to say no it didnt smoke at idle but cant confirm that...will tommorrow afternoon when i dig into it.

120,000...Bought the tips from you Purn, back whenever that was. In NO WAY putting blame on you tho, tips looked good, worked great for me. Appreciate the help. Going to get a code reader tommorrow, do you know if that will tell me which injector it is if it is an injector?

I didn't realize those were my old tips, that sucks. Hopefully it is just one injector and your back up and rolling in no time.
To my very limited knowledge there is no tester that will tell you if each individual injector is firing/tell you which one is bad. Easiest way to do it is to pull the valve cover, start the truck, and start pulling the injector wires off one at a time. When you find the one that doesn't change the way the truck sounds at idle, you've found the culprit.

No problem. I'd wait on some of the more experienced people to chime in on this, I'm sure they would have way more useful input than myself.

Find a friend with a Smarty and see what code it brings up. Easy way to get a better idea of what might have happened.

Cycle the key on/off 3 times and the stored codes will display on the dash

MP8 is a pressure box. I bet on a lost injector either tip or cracked body! DO NOT drive it! Pull them out and inspect then send out for testing! Probably all will fail the return flow test. Installing tips is a bad idea without having them tested first. You can also scope out the pistons while they are out just for piece of mind!

Appreciate the info guys. Got a code reader on it today, pulled up the codes...P0203 and P2146, also pulled up two other codes that i cant remember. (left the sheet that i wrote everything down on in the shop about ten minutes away from me right now) Anyways tho, I cleared the codes and started it, still ran rough, like an injector was stuck open...started it about 15 minutes later and seemed to run fine. The P0203 code said something about the number 3 injector, so we pulled that, tip and everything looked fine. Restarted the truck, ran fine and took it for a test drive, seemed to run fine for now. Did a little digging into the two codes i can rememeber and it seems to be an electronical issue. I guess il just wait and see if it does it all again.

Pulling the wires off one injector at a time will just shut down the entire bank, disconnect the injectors with the truck off and check resistance between the poles on the injectors. I would assume that a body went bad because if the nozzels have any problems I don't believe it would throw a trouble code as they're not really electronically related.

Well, it did it again. Popped the code p2146 this time and as soon as I erase it and start the truck, it comes right back. Went ahead and bought a remanned injector from scheid's. Should be in on tuesday, hopefully thatll take care of it.

If those are the original injector bodies, I'd count on replacing them all soon. 120-140k seems to be the extent of a CR injector's life.

Well i got the reman'd injector in and it seemed to fix the problem. NOw, a couple weeks ltr, it seems like the number 6 injector might be the same situation. Id like to check the ohms first on all the injectors, bought an electronic reader, but not familiar with them. Was wandering if anybody could kinda walk me thru how to go about using it and how to check the injectors. Assume they can stay in the truck? Do they need to be disconnected? Any info helps, Thanks again!

Check out you tube. There are some videos on there that will show you how to use the ohmmeter. Each one is a little different, so make sure you have yours handy.

As far as checking the injectors, remove the wire harness from the top posts on each injector. Place on lead on each post. You should read LESS than 1 ohm. Any more and the injector is shot. Usually they read around .5 ohms. Mine did except the one that was shot. That read 2 ohms, IIRC. Make sure the wiring harness is not touching the injector just to be sure you are not inadvertently testing the harness.

The problem is the injectors are worn out! Reading ohm's will tell you nothing except if the circuit is good or bad your problem is internal.Nobody should put tips on without first sending the injectors in for testing especially if they have over 60k on them