Need Help Fast Please!!

AMMO22

BANNED
Just changed the fuel filter on my wifes 99 24V. Now I can't get it to start. I'm getting fuel out of the frong and back banjo fittings on top of the filter housing so I know my LP is pushing fuel. If someone can tell me any tricks to get it fired back I'd appriciate it. If someone could call me and walk me through it I will buy you dinner in Houston in Oct. Thanks a million guys.

Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you fill the canister back up? Bump the key a few times and let the LP run. Try starting it then and if a no go you will need to crack a fuel line, keep moving back the lines if it wont start and have her crank it. Sounds like you got air in the line. You can also use WD40 as a starting fluid as a last resort.

Bump the key to cycle the lift pump 3 cycles. Crack the #1,3 &4 lines and cranck it till it bleeds frel out or tries to start. Retighten them and start it. It will run rough for a few seconds and will possible idle rough until it is taken on a drive.

Thanks a ton guys!
I GOT IT FIRED!!! After a total of about 3 hours of messing with it it fired. I am really like the cummins set up (even though I had to hook the 6.0 to it to get it to run) LOL

We were having a B-day party for my oldest daughter and I had a good friend of mine helping me, we were having fun until it wouldn't start after the filter change. I have to say, I have learned something every day since we have had this truck.

Thanks Smokem. I owe you big time! I left the check valve and injector fittings open for about 1 hour and figured I'd give it one more try and it hit! Man did it make a difference in the power on this truck. Next is BHAF, Diff fluid change, and trans filter and fluid change. The truck should be in good shape after that.

Smokem said:
Glad you got it to start Brett, you luckily fit into that 2% I was talking about.

Well like we were talking about the dead pedal issue, I may temporarily fall into the lucky 2%. LOL

Thanks again. I drove it up I-10 today and it ran like a dream. I can tell a noticeable difference in the power. I made sure to clean everything out really good, so hopefully no more bid issues.

My wife thinks we should contact the Better Business Buearu on the dealership that sold us the truck in this condition, there was no way for me to know what kind of shape the fuel system was in and when the last time it had been changed. They told us everything would be would be changed when I got there, but it seems everything was neglected. To bad I had to learn that after I was hours away. The AC compressor was bad when I bought it, but I thought the system just needed a recharge. Oh well we'll find out tomorrow if they will be reembursing us and how much for the expensive trip from Houston to Tucson

Man you've had more trouble with this truck then anyone should have lol. I'm sorry man, but glad everything seems to be working out ok for you. You're sure a trooper and stickin with it. She must have REALLY loved that truck lol.

I've learned that with the few funny and strange problems I've had on mine, that it creates a bond LOL... Now when he does something weird, I scream at him, smack him around a little, and we're good to go :p

Yeah, the worst part was just getting it home from Houston. :bang
The whole getting it started night was my fault. First time ever doing real maintenance on a Cummins. But I sure love how simple it is. It runs great now!! I'm actually getting ready to run out and get some Premium Blue and teach the ol' lady how to change oil. Should be an interesting day. I'll get some pictures for sure.
She does love the truck. Its exactly what she wanted minus the problems. LOL She wanted a black Dodge with the sport package and I told her we were not getting a gas truck it had to be a Cummins, so there it is in the drive way. I can't wait to turn it up.