need help please reply

sdreese@duramax

green machine
i have an 01' duramax and when i drive around town my trans temp gets up to 185-190 but, when im on the highway it dosent get over 160-165. and the wired part is that it shifts fine. Is this normal or is there something wrong. I know that those temperatures are normal but im not hauling anything. so please reply if you guys have had the same problem or know where to look.

Thanks

Trans temps usually run hotter in town during stop-n-go traffic than they do on the highway

They sould ok to me, maybe a little warm?.. Is the fluid dis-colored?

another thing to remember to is when its 100+* outside compared to many 60-70* you will be runner alittle hotter outside temp will have some play but looks like yours is alittle higher. One thing most dont relieze that punching it every corner or stop is one of the hardest things on a tranny, how are you driving normal easing into shifts or hot rodding around 200+* i would start getting worried remember one thing when a tranny gets hot dont shut it off to let it cool leave it running you shut it off and if the clutch packs are hot enough you can weld them together and by by tranny that can be spendy

One thing most dont relieze that punching it every corner or stop is one of the hardest things on a tranny, how are you driving normal easing into shifts or hot rodding around 200+* i would start getting worried remember one thing when a tranny gets hot dont shut it off to let it cool leave it running you shut it off and if the clutch packs are hot enough you can weld them together and by by tranny that can be spendy

the allison doesnt even go into the 'trans hot' protection mode until 260 or so. You would be very hard pressed to destroy an allison with high fluid temperatures. It just doesnt really happen. The trans was designed to be abused and mis-treated with little care taken as far as maintinence (granted, at stock power levels). "easing into shifts" is incorrect too; the allison already does the "easing into shifts" for you by telling the engine to defuel.

worse case scenario, you drive it hard at high temps with a big hp tune....it limps to protect itself and you're stuck in third gear. Its not like a ford or dodge trans that just all of a sudden goes BOOM and the truck doesnt move anymore.

the trans runs hotter around town because the converter isnt locked up.

200*???? thats nothing. You're 110% fine.

ben

They sould ok to me, maybe a little warm?.. Is the fluid dis-colored?

Phil almost all new fluids turn brown with "age", particularly TranSynd, fluid color isnt really the best judge of if its burned or not. If you pulled my dipstick you would swear by the color and smell that its completely toast (its fine tho). :eek:

Ben

Like they said. In town your tranny temps will be right there with your coolant temps, out on the highway the trans will cool down and run at lower temperatures.

the allison doesnt even go into the 'trans hot' protection mode until 260 or so. You would be very hard pressed to destroy an allison with high fluid temperatures. It just doesnt really happen. The trans was designed to be abused and mis-treated with little care taken as far as maintinence (granted, at stock power levels). "easing into shifts" is incorrect too; the allison already does the "easing into shifts" for you by telling the engine to defuel.

worse case scenario, you drive it hard at high temps with a big hp tune....it limps to protect itself and you're stuck in third gear. Its not like a ford or dodge trans that just all of a sudden goes BOOM and the truck doesnt move anymore.

the trans runs hotter around town because the converter isnt locked up.

200*???? thats nothing. You're 110% fine.

ben

Like they said. In town your tranny temps will be right there with your coolant temps, out on the highway the trans will cool down and run at lower temperatures.

Like they said your temps are normal.
If you want to keep them a little lower push the tow/haul button. It will lock the TC in the lower gears and not heat-up the fluid as much...but your fuel mileage will suffer.

I get worried over 200*, but hey it just doesn't happen with my Dodge!:shake: