need help with fuel shutoff wiring BAD

barax

trying to wire my p pump fuel shutoff solenoid on a 99 dodge, im totaly stumped, search turned up this thread

Fuel shutoff solenoid question - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

it happens to be locked so i was hoping you could help me out... where exactly did you hook up the brown and green wires, i know the brown is for pull in and the green is for hold in and i can make the brown one work when i press it to the battery terminal but i cant seem to put it anywhere that makes it work with the key??? i tryed jamming it in along side the starter relay in that relay box beside the battery with no luck... as for the green (hold in wire), cant make it work by touching it to the battery or anywhere else.... really pullin my hair out over this one.. thanks for your help... ps. i got both the black with brown tracers to ground (-) on the battery and the fat red one to the pos (+) battery

I wired my pull wire to the starter's switch post and went through a relay. My hold wire is ran through a toggle switch mounted on the dash. The only wires from the pigtail i had for my solenoid was pull, hold, and ground. If you put the hold wire on the battery and then the pull wire on the battery it should open the solenoid and when you take the pull wire from the battery with the hold wire still in contact with the battery the solenoid should stay open.

so i need to phisicly rout the brown wire all the way down to the starter and hook the green one to either a switch or a fuse that is hot when the key is in the on position? and when i hook both to the battery it pulls in but if i take the brown one off it wont hold, could there be something wrong with my solenoid or my green wire?

so i need to phisicly rout the brown wire all the way down to the starter and hook the green one to either a switch or a fuse that is hot when the key is in the on position? and when i hook both to the battery it pulls in but if i take the brown one off it wont hold, could there be something wrong with my solenoid or my green wire?

Yes i ran mine through a relay and to the starter. Yes the hold needs to have keyed power to it. If it won't hold it could be the solenoid or the wiring its hard telling

Does it take 12V for the hold coil or 5V? 12V sounds like allot but I don't have the battery's in my 01' 12V build to check it, nor do I have a schematic for the truck!

Jim

Are you pushing the solenoid up while you have power on the hold in wire? It wont pull it in on its own.

The hold in on mine is triggered by the excite for the starter. Its ran to a universal 12v starter relay which the fuel shut off solenoid is actually wired to. The hold in is wired to a key on source.

edited, had it backwards

Last edited:
The hold is definitely 12v. Make sure to use a relay on the pull side, it draws a lot of current.

The hold is definitely 12v. Make sure to use a relay on the pull side, it draws a lot of current.

Yes. I'm running just a 30amp accessory relay you can get at a auto parts store for a couple bucks. never had any problems with it either

ya im using a relay and wiring from a wrecked 12 valve... i got it to pull but it still wont hold... maybe its my solenoid

Have you tested the hold circuit without the rest of the wiring harness? Remember, you have to push the plunger up for it to stay. Its not very often the solenoids go bad, and its usually on the pull side that does when it gets overheated from a stuck starter solenoid.

ya i tried testing it a few times, still no hold... im going to take it back and have them bench test it tomorow... its brand new so i shouldent be having any problems unless i smoked it trying to test it...

alright i got it all hooked up and working now... turns out i had the rod adjusted to short so it couldent come up high enough to hold... such a newbie move hey...

Back