Need help with passenger side battery delete

1stgensleeper

I'm in the process of installing an s400 to run as a single on my 2006 QCLB. I'm running a 2nd gen style manifold angled down as that's how I need to run it to get my piping to fit. I had to remove the passenger side shock tower and battery for extra space and now need help figuring out what wires I need and which ones I don't.

There are 2 wires that come out of the back of the alternator, one goes straight to the passenger side battery (charge cable) and the other goes to a small black canister mounted on the passenger side battery box. After some research I think the canister I'm referring to is for the grid heater. I live in the Central Valley in California and don't really need the grid heater so I'd like to delete it. Can I just run a charge cable from the alternator, across the radiator, to the drivers side battery and be okay? Do I need to connect this black canister to anything? If I don't need to run the canister then what do I do with the wire that comes out of the alternator and was originally connected to the canister?

Thanks for the help.
Jared

Here's a picture of the canister I am talking about:

1a00ed827d93d5511995ea240ff53639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Solenoid can be deleted. Hard wire the charge lead on the alternator to the drivers side battery and you're good to go

Sent from my flashscan v2

Last edited:
You had to remove the shock tower as well? I have a S400 with a 1" spacer between the turbo and the 2nd Gen manifold and still have the battery (with modified mount) and factory shock tower.

It will be cleaner with one battery though.

You had to remove the shock tower as well? I have a S400 with a 1" spacer between the turbo and the 2nd Gen manifold and still have the battery (with modified mount) and factory shock tower.

This guy talking about a cleaner engine bay is funny!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Solenoid can be deleted. Hard wire the charge lead on the alternator to the drivers side battery and you're good to go

Sent from my flashscan v2

And the wire that goes from the alternator to the solenoid can be pulled off and descarded? Thanks for your help.

The way my piping is designed it takes more room away from the battery and shock tower. It doesn't really bother me that I need to delete it because it gives me more room and looks cleaner.

Yes you can get rid of that small wire going to the heater grid solenoid.

Be sure to run a decent size ground from the block to the body to.

Be sure to run a decent size ground from the block to the body to.

Is the ground from the battery to the block not enough?

Another question for you guys, when I unplug these wires they are still sealed in the wire loom. Are you guys taping the end up and letting them hang or pulling them completely out of the wiring harness?

Last edited:
The stock ground cable off the pass battery runs to the neg. post from the block and has the pigtail running over to the fender IIRC. It helps more than you realize.
Know a guy that had charging issues out the azz after he moved the battery. He replaced that ground with a 14 gauge wire.... yeah 14. Swapped that out with a bigger cable and no more charging issues and the alternater picked up 4 volts.

I just left the grid heater solenoid wires tied up to the side. Actually took the whole grid assembly and supply cables out.

Last edited:
You shouldn't "need" to remove it....but just remove all power and ground wires and run a different extension wire from the drivers battery's the alternator charging wire.

503cbd18f5e7087e8a2ae66c647f362b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty simple stuff if your only running one battery disconnect it all and run a good guage size wire from your alternator to the other battery I ditched mine to make room for side by side compounds With shock tower deletes good luck bud

Also grounds are important use you stock ground location on the block and atleast put it to the frame better safe than sorry

Never understood this one...why don't guys just bolt the intake horn directly to the manifold? That's how mine has been for a long time.

I bolted mine right to the manifold but I had to cut 2" out of my intake horn to fit.

I use 4 gauge wire from the alternator. Not ideal and I'd rather have 2 but it has worked fine for me for a long time.

Here's how I'm running my alternator/battery charging wire, it was too short to run in the factory location, so I wrapped in in a heat shield and ran it across the front of the motor. nice and sketchy, just the way I like it haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
I ran my charge line down and across the cross member under the engine than up to the battery.

Back