Need help with trans question

NVJAY775

Married with children
Thanks in advance for all input here. I'll first list what I have and then I'll say what happened. You guys will probably know what happened before I finish, but here it is.

2000 7.3
35" tires
AFE Stage 2
4" exhaust from turbo back
180cc injectors
Wildman 4 position chip that maxes at 140hp

Rebuilt stock trans and converter with maybe 2,000 mi. on it before the injectors and chip were added.

(you may see where this is going)

Last week I was towing my work trailer (total weight is close to 11,000 lbs) up a hill. I got on it (3/4 pedal in position 1/40 hp. I think...) from the stop light, 1-2 shift felt normal, then second started slipping bad, so I got out of it and let it go into 3rd.

I limped it back to the shop. It felt descent on the way back btw. After I got it to the shop, I tried to back it up and it went into a soft park like feel. First still worked to get it in the shop door. So...

When I ordered the injectors and chip I specifically said what my setup was and requested the most I could get away with (injectors and chip) with my current setup and needs (for work and play)

Riddle me this.
1. Did the rebuilt trans fail?
2. Did the converter fail? (which came with the rebuilt trans)
3. Is the motor now too much for the trans setup?
4. What is the most economical fix?

Unfortunately I am on a tight budget at the moment. I was thinking a solid converter and a valve body if the trans is ok, but I don't know yet. The shop hasn't opened it up yet.

Any and all input is really appreciated everyone.
Thanks
J

Does it still shift? It if does then run it until it 'til it dies and get a Monsterbox or BTS or something.

Stock remans suck, especially the ones from Ford.

It's dead. Kinda low on cash at the moment. The trans is under warranty, but they might not warranty it due to the mods. Time will tell. The trans wasn't a reman Ford unit. It did sit for 8 months waiting for injectors though.

Thanks guys!

Sun Coast offers a rebuild kit, tranny rebuilds aren't too difficult if you have good directions and follow them. If I were in your shoes I would build the tranny myself. Get the suncoast rebuild kit, a transgo, and a good converter. . .should be cheaper than having someone else do it. The other alternative would be building it w/a stock parts, get ahold of john woods for the 6.4 converter and a BTS for Factory Tech VB and I'm pretty sure you can use the 6.0 input shaft in the 4R100's for pretty cheap. You may wanna keep the chip turned down until you have money for repairs as well, making power isn't cheap and w/o the correct supporting mods will cause you more $$$ as you've run into. Good luck, if I was closer I'd give you a hand.

hey Brad whats up with the 6.4 convertor? I know the 6.0 was a triple disk?

hey josh, i run across you everywhere except around town! The 6.4 is just a little beefier than the old 6.0, i think it's still a triple disk, but i hear it's a little larger od and capable of holding a little more. Don't know much more, it's just the word on the street that Wood prefers the 6.4 over the 6.0's.

Alright, thanks. I am going to call the stealer monday and see how much of a cost differential there is.

I hear the mounting is slightly different between the 6.0 and 6.4, but doesn't sound like the adapter is too hard to pull off.

trick76cj5 Thanks for all the good info. Things r getting better. The 6.4 converter sounds interesting. Makes sense though. There's a guy out here where I am at that works with Suncoast and has been in a couple mags too. You guys will probably know of him more than I will. His first name is Jimmy, I don't know his last name. But everybody tells me that he is "The Man" I gave him all my "mod" info and he is going to build me one that will work.

Sure would be cool to get the 5 speed auto in a 7.3. The converter lockup and closer ratios would be a bonus fo sho.

Thanks everybody for all the input. Keep it coming if you have any more.

Jay

Jimmy's last name is Converse. Should get the trans back this week. Hopefully. My 99 PSD lost 2nd a couple weeks ago. It's hard to get around with a work trailer behind you when trying to do the 1 to 3 shift. Good entertainment though. I have learned (as others have previously posted) that the reman Ford trans are junk. They are definitely having issues with them.

Back