Need help with turbo selection.

carcrafter22

I am about to start a conversion on my dads 2003 1500HD, I will be installing a 1991 nissan FD35 3.5L 4 cylinder diesel. The little fd35 is factory rated at 125hp @3500rpm and 220tq @2000 rpm. He has his duramax powered truck for any real towing so this truck will be used for driving back and forth to work and sometimes towing a 20ft bass boat and nothing else, MPG's are the primary goal but it will need a little more power than stock.

The goal is to get to around 225 rwhp with the motor which should be plenty for this application.

So far the plan is to open the stock injectors (since noone makes aftermarket nozzles for this motor) turn up the fuel pump and swap to a bigger turbo.

I am not sure what turbo to run. I know he doesnt want to buy a $1500-$2000 turbo and I would love to be able to run a nice used holset since they are reliable and cheap and usually easy to find. We do want to run the best for this appication so I would love to hear any and all suggestions from you guys.

thanks
Randy

Id look for a turbo off an Mercedes diesel. They are in the 3.0l range. The hx35 will be to laggy. A HY35 might do better.

Try an HY35 off an auto truck, they have pretty tight exhaust housings and should spool fairly well, not to mention they are cheap enough you won't loose much should it not work.

I am running an he341 on my isuzu 3.9L and it works great but I am afraid this engine might be just a little bit too small for a turbo with a compressor that size. What do you guys think?

I am considering doing compounds using the stock garret T25 and something like an HX40 for the primary or maybe and HX35, what do you guys think about that?

Remember this needs to have fast spoolup for the street while towing a boat and going back and forth to work, no big power needed just max tq and fast spoolup.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Back