Need new brake rotor?

SadderBudweiser

dalmatianpilot
This past Sunday evening I got caught on the interstate in traffic from the New Orlean's Saints game. After a lot of stop and go, I started to smell something. Then the truck started pulling hard when I stopped.

I got to the break-down lane and looked at my brakes. The right rear rotor was glowing red hot. The other rotors were just hot from stop and go. I let every thing cool then I got off the interstate. The right rear brake was still dragging. Then the dragging stopped as I entered a parking lot.

I let everything cool again and pulled the wheel off. No more dragging. No sign of a problem. So I drove 180 miles home without a problem. Brakes worked great!

I'm gonna pull the brake apart this weekend to check for problems. Do I need to replace the rotor because it got red hot??

Red Hot, no.

Check for stress cracks and see if they are warped. If they are, then I would replace. Check out Power Stop’s slotted and cross drilled rotors. I think they are about the same price as factory rotors and they are way better.

I'm with trusted, you should only replace them if performance degraded.

I'd be more concerned about the rubbing.

Back