Need quick help with timing my pump.

Light It Up

Ok all I need to do is time my pump and my Ppump conversion will be done. I got my timing kit with the dial indicater. Im TDC on #1 cyl. then I pull the DV hold out alon with the dv. I put the indicator holder in and then the dial and it says to turn the motor counterclockwise a 1/4 turn or untill the dial stops turning back. Im at a half a turn and the dial still has to go all the way down. I did turn the pump when it was off the truck to put a 4Kgsk in. Does the #1 on the pump need to be at the complete top when the motor is TDC on #1? I guess Im asking do I need to pull the gear and turn the pump untill the # 1 is at TDC then put it on the truck? Thanks

there is a plug on the drivers side of the pump not the one for the governor springs it stick out take that plug out there will be a little plastic piece in there with a steel pin take that out look in through the hole and turn the pump until the governor foot comes into view get it in the center of the port and your at the original timing that should get you closer

if you know you plunger lift for your cpl of that engine, or for that pump, install your dial indicator, set the indicator between 7.0, and 9.0mm on the small inner dial. barr the engine counter clock wise untill you hit the inner base circle of the cam on the pump, the dial indicator will be dropping. it will drop, stop, and begin to rise almost immediately, when you get to where it stops, stop rotating the engine, zero your dial indicator, when it stops your on the inner base circle of the cam. barr the engine clockwise utill you get the desired amount of lift, watch the gauge, depending on what gauge you are using,(i have the snapon timing kit) one revolution of the big dial indicator is 2mm of lift, soo keep and eye on the gauge. once you get the right amount of lift, stop, pull the pump gear, make sure that the lift did not change, if it did, repeat that step. if it did not change, barr the engine counter clockwise 20-30 deg. of engine rotation to remove greartrain lash between the crank, and cam gear, and then clockwise backup to tdc. clean the shaft really well with contact cleaner, you want no oil on the shaft at all, and seat the gear on the shaft, keep a slight counter clockwise pressure on the gear while you seat it, this will remove the gear lash inbetween the camshaft gear, and the pump gear, torque to 150ft. lb. go back, and back the engine off of tdc, bring back up to tdc, and verify that the plunger lift is where it needs to be at tdc, and you're done! hope this helps.

Wes

Ok now whats the geartrain lash. Can you exlpain that to me a bit more. Thanks

in simple terms, the back and fourth movement of meshing teeth. Also known as backlash.

Is there anyone I can call to talk to them about reading this damn gauge. I think I got it but the gauge and paper are telling me my pump is set at like 29*. Im really not sure if Im reading the gauge right. I locked the pump and put the gear on, unlocked the pump with the timing gauge in #1 DV and turned counterclock untill the gauge quit dropping. I zeroed it and turned the engine to TDC and watched the gauge go around 2 3/4 turns and stopped on the 7.5 mark.

Now there is a little inner dial inside my gauge and it was at like 6.25. Would that be in mm. Wich would set my pump at 22*