need some first gen help

ttcfan4476

my friend just scored a 93 5spd for 500 bucks the P/O put fuel in it that had water in it and it would not run:bang so they left it sit over the winter and the pump froze and broke the cold advance. they took it to a shop put a new cold advance on and still wont run. do we put the lift pump hose in a can of clean fuel to see if it will run or is the pump toast?

A "broken cold advance" could or could not be a no-start condition, depending on where it's broken. Pictures?

I have a test rig I use to gravity-feed the VE right into the inlet port on the front of it... Just a flare fitting on a length of copper tube that I stretch a rubber hose over. Want pictures?

I like the girl in your avatar. Got more pictures?

i dont know much about the ve pumps should we try clean fuel first they may have left the watery fuel in the tank and tried to run it on that. or do we just get a diffrent pump?

avatar was a internet pic i dont have any more

I'd prime it, check the shut-off solenoid and gravity feed it with known clean fuel and see what happens.

I don't know how one can "break" a KSB. If it broke off or started leaking badly, it could keep the pump from building fuel pressure and not let the truck run. But you'd probably never even notice it if it wasn't operational.

"The truck doesn't run because it has watery fuel and a broken cold start advance" kinda sounds like the sort of scattershot diagnosis a mechanic that doesn't understand what's going and doesn't want to work on it anymore would say... I've known mechanics that would work for days on an engine because they're not knowledgeable to know how to prime it.

I've known mechanics that would work for days on an engine because they're not knowledgeable to know how to prime it.

i am wondering if this is what happend we will try clean fuel how do i check the shut off solenoid ?

It just needs 12 volts onto one of the two spades sitting on top of it. It should have 12 volts as long as the ignition is on. You may or may not hear it click if you manually jump 12 volts to it while it's off. It's possible for the shut-down plunger to get stuck in the "off" position, especially if it's been sitting in the position for a while and the fuel's had the chance to turn to varnish.

Between the engine not having a prime and the fuel shut-off solenoid acting up you have 90% (irrelevant arbitrary statistic with no objective evidence) of first gen no-start conditions accounted for.

You're welcome.

Now upload the full size picture of your avatar girl. I'm trying to figure out if those orange bands up her legs are part of her shoes or just ribbons of some sort. :hump:

well the truck runs but wont idle gonna try and get some fuel thru to see if that helps

Poor idle problems are usually just a case of low idle speed; it should be ~750-850. Low idle speed could be a cause of worn injectors, lowered injection pop pressures, a weak injection pump or just a need to turn in the idle screw some more turns. And most of the above can be remedied just by turning in the idle screw some more turns anyways; it's the one that the throttle lever rests on when there's no foot on the pedal, almost impossible to get to in between the head and the injection pump.

Alternately it could be a fuel starvation issue or an air-in-fuel issue.

Still trying to get a better view of limber-chick's leg bands over here... I ended up talking to an ex the other day, I realized that the pony tail reminds me of her. Not the flexibility though. Although my ex with that much flexibility is a very stimulating thought...

well we need pictures of the ex since i dont have pic of the avatarLOL j/k

oh and the truck has 160 000 mile i dont think the pump would be worn out or the injectors. its all stock never benn messed with that we can tell anyways.

It wouldn't be wise for me to post pictures of her... I don't think she needs any more ammunition for a restraining order than she has already...