Need some help turning up a 98.5.

bsmith

Never enough
So I'm gonna help my moms boyfriend turn his truck up a little.

Any help is appreciated.

He wants safe, reliable, usable power.

Its a 98.5, 5speed with flatbed with soon to be dually. Will be towing 17k.

He said he isn't opposed to changing the clutch.

I was hoping I could bump up his timing and adjust his afc, maybe some small injectors?

This is where I need direction.

What's his safest route hp wise. I've never changed gsk in a pump, is this needed?

Thanks!

Ill be in ponca city, ok in a week or so if anyone wants to drink some beers.

Sorry must be 98, is a 215. Thought it was 98.5 cause of the rear doors. They live in ponca.

98.5 is the last year/month the 12V came in, just move his stock plate forward abit, see if that is enough since he's towing heavy.

Last edited:
Sorry must be 98, is a 215. Thought it was 98.5 cause of the rear doors. They live in ponca.

I'm just outside Tulsa... Depending on when I may be down to wrench. And drink.

PM me your email... I've got a basic intro I typed up way back in the DTR days.

I'm just outside Tulsa... Depending on when I may be down to wrench. And drink.

PM me your email... I've got a basic intro I typed up way back in the DTR days.
I'm probably gonna fly in on the 7th and stay in ponca till the 18th or so.

Dtr, the good ol days, first forum I ever joined lol. Pm on the way.

Thanks!

Timing, move the fuel plate. Try the small things first. Set the valves tighter. 8 on the intake and 15 on the exhaust

Or grind the plate a bit and use a boost controller of sorts on the hx, they can run 35 psi without issue, you can do the washer mod as described in the dodge articles for a bit more rpm, at about this time he wil probably shell the clutch, timing will help with the egts while towing..

Or grind the plate a bit and use a boost controller of sorts on the hx, they can run 35 psi without issue, you can do the washer mod as described in the dodge articles for a bit more rpm, at about this time he wil probably shell the clutch, timing will help with the egts while towing..
Good idea on boost controller, I have a reduced orffice from my 62 I can use. I planned on messing with the afc, just wasn't sure how much was needed.

What about some mild injectors for better mpg? He said he wouldntmind upgrading the clutch, says he has 90k on this one.

18* is a good number.The next thing is the head gasket. You know it's only a mater of time before it goes. I think a small set of injectors would be great, like 50hp or something like that.

18* is a good number.The next thing is the head gasket. You know it's only a mater of time before it goes. I think a small set of injectors would be great, like 50hp or something like that.
Well I thought about torquing the head bolts down. Can he get away with small sticks and stock turbo?

The stock 215hp injectors will go a long way. They're capable of taking the hx35 way off of its map, so it's not necessary to upgrade the injectors.. Though more power/fuel with a shorter/crisper injection event wouldn't hurt. GSK is a must in my opinion. It sucks defueling past 2300rpms, especially when towing!

GSK + Free AFC mods will probably be sufficient. A longer afc spring helps tune-ability tremendously. Bump the timing from 13.5 to 16-16.5. Check fuel pressure while you're at it.

For a fuel plate, you could either get a #10 plate from ebay for $35 or grind your own.

If he's going to be towing heavy often, he should look into getting a NMU70NV45DDSN-ORG or similar clutch.

Too bad you guys aren't closer.. I've got the sp500 timing kit as well as a diesel timing light, lifts and an air conditioned shop. :pop:

EDIT: On the 19th I'll let you know how my 215hp injectors do.

Last edited:
The stock 215hp injectors will go a long way. They're capable of taking the hx35 way off of its map, so it's not necessary to upgrade the injectors.. Though more power/fuel with a shorter/crisper injection event wouldn't hurt. GSK is a must in my opinion. It sucks defueling past 2300rpms, especially when towing!

GSK + Free AFC mods will probably be sufficient. A longer afc spring helps tune-ability tremendously. Bump the timing from 13.5 to 16-16.5. Check fuel pressure while you're at it.

For a fuel plate, you could either get a #10 plate from ebay for $35 or grind your own.

If he's going to be towing heavy often, he should look into getting a NMU70NV45DDSN-ORG or similar clutch.

Too bad you guys aren't closer.. I've got the sp500 timing kit as well as a diesel timing light, lifts and an air conditioned shop. :pop:

EDIT: On the 19th I'll let you know how my 215hp injectors do.
I've never messed with gsk springs, kinda scared to mess with them. Everything else sounds good and doable.

I wish you were closer also, I have a timing kit but no lift or ac:(

Ill mention the clutch to him, thanks for the advice!