Need some ideas

Smashed96gt

I just traded my '03 Duramax to a co-worker of mine and got a '93 W250 Cummins and my old '93 Ranger. The Duramax was my first diesel so I'm not that experienced with them but I learn quick.

I've seen how to upgrade the VE pump, how to modify the fuel pin, change the governor spring, and bump the timing.

My goals are to make it faster than my duramax was with a 100 tune on it. The best it ever ran was 15.0 @ 92 but the 4wd didnt work and I didnt want to build boost on the line.

Is there anything else that I would need to do to achieve my goal besides those cheap/easy things?

Eventually I want to do injectors and an upgraded turbo and I know I will have to upgrade the trans in the future too.

Which leads to my next question. What trans do I have? I've heard different things from different people and I dont trust any of them. One guy even swore up and down that it had an Allison behind it.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

I'd put pink fuzzy dice in it and a pink Browning steering wheel cover and some spinner hubcaps and call it a day.

Or you could search a little...

3 speed or 4 speed tranny?

Pink dice and a pink Browing steering wheel cover huh? That just might work. It would definately make my truck the hottest one in town.

I'm gonna say it's a 4 speed because it has the O/D off button.

You'd be big pimpin then for sure!

You've got a 47RH then. Build it with billet and 15s won't be hard.

I think I'd need the license plate to read FRESH before I would be pimpin though.

Approx how much does it run to build a 47rh with billet?

To have the Allison in the Dmax built it cost about 3800 to hold 600 at the wheels. But I never got to run it as I really couldn't afford the truck payment, getting the trans built, replacing the t-case, and doing head gaskets and studs.

Your truck has the A518, also known as the 46RH, its a four speed auto with NO lockup convertor.

You will need to do some work to run a 15.0 quarter, FIRST GET GAUGES, then get a USED 12cm wastegated exhaust housing of of a nexer dodge, i was lucky enough to get one for free, but either way there not very expensive used. Oh, by the way your truck currently has a HUGE 21cm nonwastegated housing, in this case smallers better. For $250 you can get an upgraded "hybrid" 60mm compressor wheel and housing, they flow alot more air then the stock one whick is like a 56mm? Ok, now you need a better breathing air filter, i have a nice big "cone" amsoil filter on mine. I do NOT recomend a KN or any other oiled type filter. A cheap way to go is a "BHAF" if you dont know what that is search. On to the exhaust, the 3" stock down pipe is enough for what you want, just run a 4" strait exhaust from there back. If you know about the fuel pin and gov spring, im guessing you know how to adjust the star wheel, "smoke screw" and full power screw? Once you crank up the pump you WILL need an upgraded fuel pump, you want atleast 8-10psi under full throttle, and no more then 20psi EVER or you might have major problems. For a cheap injector you can get "POD" injectors for like $400, but there far from the best. I would talk to "smokem" on here or "shortbus driver" they both build good injectors for a reasonable price. I would also recomend a shift kit too. Im sure theres more i cant think of, but if you need anything send me a message.

The 93 has a 18cm housing not a 21cm. The 12cm would be a night and day difference over stock.

You'd be big pimpin then for sure!

You've got a 47RH then. Build it with billet and 15s won't be hard.
don't you mean 518OD trans?

*edit whoops, I see they jumped on ya already wif the correction......

Last edited:
The 93 has a 18cm housing not a 21cm. The 12cm would be a night and day difference over stock.

My 92 had the 21 stock, and my 89 had a 18cm stock.

Im not perfect,but i thought theintercooledtruckswere21cm, and the NON intercooled were 18cm?

My 92 had the 21 stock, and my 89 had a 18cm stock.

Im not perfect,but i thought theintercooledtruckswere21cm, and the NON intercooled were 18cm?

I wasn't tryin to be a dick or nothing, just trying to get the OP more correct info so if/when upgrades are done they don't waste money. As far as I know the late 91 and early 92 had the 21 then like JBradley500 stated most if not all 93 went back to the 18 that the non IC trucks had.