need upgrade ideas

smoken02project

i just blew my turbo :st: , and now its time to upgrade.

i was thinking turbo, exhaust, and injectors. trying to stay under $3,000.00 and 600+hp.

any recommendations? :thankyou2:

Okay, so you want 600 ponies. Sounds like sticks and turbo are good steps in the right direction. Do you have gauges yet? They're a must. And do you have o-rings and studs? You won't have 600 horse very long without them. You don't say if you have an auto or manual shift. With 600 horse you'll definitely need an upgraded automatic or a really healthy clutch. I'm not much on the computer end of things just yet (still learning) but you may need more help on the software. There's some general stuff for you. Are you sure you want that much power? What will you do with it?

Actually there's a thread just down from this one called 24v power suggestions or sumtin. He's got an 02 and he's looking for 550 horse. Lots of good suggestions got put out by people much smarter than me.

its an auto and its all stock under the hood. im new to the upgrades. i will be putting a triple gauge piller with egt, bost, and tran temp. mainly trying fr the most hp for 3Gs

you got fuel delivery handled? FASS/Glacier/Etc... ?

Making that power is not that hard, but keeping it under you is expensive. I'd get a set of 200hp injectors, 66/14 Sled puller (price range) BD RAD and the gauges. That would be under your 3K number or right there.... but keeping your trans and Head together is the problem. I'd say you'd be High 5's on a dynojet anyway

This was all assuming your "EZ / COMP" comment meant you already own the stack

upgrades

Well for a 600hp 24 valve w/out p-pumping it. Then a redline and big sticks and a good turbo is the way to go!!! IMO:evil

smoken02project said:
i just blew my turbo :st: , and now its time to upgrade.

i was thinking turbo, exhaust, and injectors. trying to stay under $3,000.00 and 600+hp.

any recommendations? :thankyou2:

For 600 RWHP plan on a lot more than $3K.....

Tranny and TC: $5K-$7K
Fueling box or boxes: $600-$1900
Studs, o-rings, gasket with rebuilt head: $2000
Injectors: $1200
Turbo: $1600-$2000
Air Filter Unit: $350
Gauges: $400
Fass or equivalent: $600
Boot kit: $200

This will get you a reliable 600 to the ground.

Doug

smoken02project said:
what hp could i get from 3K?

I would go with something like this:
Used Phat Shaft 62 turbo $900
Used Ege Comp $400-$500
Torque Convertor $900
Valve Body: $500
gauges: $400

This still does not address the fuel supply issue..... You could install a Holley pusher pump and monitor your FP. RWHP will be around 300-325.

A billet input shaft sure would save alot of hassle down the road too I'd be afraid of snapping the stocker.

Last edited:
for the 3k its going to be hard to get a lot of power reliably but on a 24v auto you have to do a fuel system ive always had good luck with fass. i wouldnt drive one stock without one. The fuel systems are just to unreliable. Then you need to get a turbo "obviously" but a tranny is going to be a must and depending on the condition of your tranny i dont think just a converter and valve body will do it there are other updates that need to be done to get it to last. you are going to need an input shaft and a few other things Then if your truck is fairly low mileage you can put head studs in it with the head still on it. I have a friend with an 01 HO 6sp that makes 550hp and the head has never been off it and all he has is studs in it he just keeps them torqued but it has made that kind of power for over two years with no problem and 60 psi of boost. Then when you get the the funds you can put injectors and a bluechip or a drag comp. I would rather spend the money to get the truck ready for that kind of hp then to put that kind of fuel to it without doing something to the head because it will blow a head gasket sometime and you wont be putting any power to the ground without trans work.