needing help

02 dodge4x4 5.9

Not Through Yet
ok first off here we go

pulled out engine codes an say {injection timing malfunction}

checked to see what kind of pressure had well guage read 0psi

crank in the morning an seems like it cut the throttle back until ig reaches 140 or so like the throttle is 50 percent no power

an will cough the black smoke on accelration from a stop sign

any an all help needed

daily driver 150/300 miles a day 5 days a week

You need an injection pump and a new lift pump. The 0216 and the low powr are symptoms of a dying injection pump. This was probably caused by a dead lift pump.

Whareabouts are you at in Alabama?

Buy A Fass And A Hrvp44 And You Will Be Back On The Road With A Little Extra Power

I suggest in addition to your replaced Vp44 and liftpump, get some gauges to help you monitor what's going on, Fuel Pressure, Exhaust Gas Temp, Boost, and if an Automatic equipped truck an ATF temp. -gauges.....

Please Fill out your Sig also with a brief description of you rig -also this helps us answer any of the questions that might be asked......

took by shop tday an they checked to see iff the lp was dead an he said it was dead also ask me if i was sure the pump was bad .told him that my scanner kept pulling up the injection timing malfunction

i ask if i had a choice of pumps to choose from an he said that they were basically the same as far as he knew of . another thing is installing the new pump something that i could do rather easily or does it need to go to shop an same ? as to the lift pump thanks guys any help appreciated

my truck is
2002 dodge 4x4 quadcab lwb
4inch lift
315 summit mud dawg tires {mudders}{35 psi} {as recommended? what do you recommend i run}
4 wheel disc brake
tranny rebuilt 22000 miles ago {1900.00 an sum change}
laramie series
with 8 foot flatbed from texas
all stock motor 5.9 turbo 6

looking for a good way to get all the goodies i can but not lot of extra cash to sink in it so little at a time
oh an milage is 140.000 now
truck has been running same for last 5 months id say

in south alabama atmore the city

Last edited:
another ? boy you guys might get tired of me quick but one thiong ive noticed is that maybe my truck is running a little warm on me but its probably the pump causeing it but when loaded maybe 2k on bed when pulling hills or when it constantly shifting in town the temp running like 200 or 205 on guage
will me adding 4. or 5 inch exhaust help cool her down thanks again

You can ask one of these Dodge guys for sure but from my understanding there is a huge difference in the pumps. I'm sure one of these guys will be along to explain the differences..

Good Luck ..and remember thats why we created this board so everyone can learn and discuss and help each other out.

Hate to link to another site and all..

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/VP44INFO.html

But this is by far the best information about the VP44 available. The good. The bad. And the really ugly fact that Bosch knows these things are junk and never did anything about it.

We don't care about linking to another site with good info, that's why we are here :rockwoot:

On the pump, if you have a decent set of hand tools and some mechanical knowledge you can change the pump(s) out yourself no sweat.

On the tire pressure, 50-60 PSI on the front and rear, 35 is way low for the weight of these trucks.

I sent you a PM with my #, gimme a ring and I can answer a whole bunch of your questions and explain it so you can understand the reason's why ( I hope LOL ).

P1683
Speed Control Power Relay Or Speed Control 12
cked codes an this was there as well as
P0216
Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure
Fuel Injection Pump Control Circuit
P0216
cleared them out cleaned the map sensor
none so far hope the best

The p0216 is the killer code.

The pump is going. It may not be today. It may not be tomorrow. But sometime (possibly soon) the pump will completely give out and the truck will no longer run.

The dead lift pump killed the injection pump, get the Holley pumping and start pricing IP's, you are going to need one shortly :(