Needing of Advice...

I have a 1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, auto., relatively stock motor...intake, boost and pyro gauges and straightpipe 4" exhaust to 6" stack...somewhat stock trans., does have shift kit, "HD" torque convertor....I'm wanting to know some good ways of building the motor, possibly the trans., for just beginning...of course I want to go balls out (will eventually)...but paying for school ain't quite allowing all my dreams...so anyone know any ideas of how to build up small, yet powerful setup? Anywhere around 300-350hp, 700tq.?? Anyone got ideas for best set-up under or close to $1,000???? Would a #5 or 0 fuel plate be wise??..with the trans.??? Anyone know any cheap tune-ups for the trans.?? Lemme know, I know y'all are smart!!

I have a Valve body upgrade in mine (same truck as yours) along with torque converter and with a #10 plate and a $30 boost control elbow it added a bunch to it. I've not put it on the dyno or anything, but I did manage to cut 11 seconds of my 0-70mph times. I ground my plate in about half an hour myself, so actual engine mods required about an hour total and $30 to get a lot more power. I really have too much fuel right now and my EGT's get way too high. My next step is to add even more air, a 3k GSK kit and bump my timing a couple degrees. All still cheaper than a quality programmer for a new truck.

George

awesome...ya i went ahead and ordered the boost control elbow...still debating on which fuel plate to get...I've been looking for valve body's for the trany...which is the best one out there...since there seems to be many brands? had any problems with the way the trans. shifts?? like hesitation between 3rd and 4th..and OD..?? that's what mine has been doing ever since i got it...seems like many people have that problem...wonder if the valve body may help that..??

Last edited:
You probably want to call tranny vendors and talk to them about valve bodies. Go with who you like best

#8 plate is what is called for in your truck but a 100 plate would be sweet .
i have the 8 plate full forward (just make sure your gov arm hits the bottom tip on the plate)

moneymaker44 said:
#8 plate is what is called for in your truck but a 100 plate would be sweet .
i have the 8 plate full forward (just make sure your gov arm hits the bottom tip on the plate)

Could i run the 100 with the valvebody and tq convertor? or too much?