Neubie in IL w/PSD Excursion needs advice!

bigredex

:Cheer: to all. I need some serious expertise. I have a 2005 Excursion PSD 4X4. I also own and am pretty familiar with the 7.3's--I have an E350 w/the old tried and true.
Here's the deal...I bought the Ex to replace the van and another SUV I have. I tow 4-5X's a year a 24' enclosed trailer to the track...about 3000 towing miles a year if that.
The '05 I bought is pretty sweet, but I cannot keep it in its current configuration--for several reasons, but mainly because it has a custom 7" lift on 37" tires. I need a small step ladder--fine for me, but no way for the wife. Of course the 16 YO son thinks it's way cool. I am pretty sure I want to revert back to something closer to original height by going with "V" code springs in front, and "B" code springs rear. I want to stay with Bilsteins, (currently has 7100 dual res series on front w/5100's on rear) but know I will need to go to a shock with less extension or less body length for the reduced height. I also wish to go to 35's or even 33's if I can come up with wheel tire combo that gives me good ride, good handling and decent wear. I actually like the ride of my E350...bone stock w/exception of gas shocks.
Oh yeah, the deal: I am looking to purchase, trade, whatever, for some factory springs as designated above. I plan to go with a either a Donahoe Edge setup with a 4" lift or the Pro Comp, (the current lift kit is from Pro Comp) Spring extension kit.
I have about a zillion other questions, but this is a good start. I am a bonafide gearhead, carqueer, and enthusiast, so the more info, the better. I can also be reached by mobile if you prefer to talk live. 630-853-3640. I live in Wheaton, IL and would love to meet any locals. I am enclosing some pics as well.
The other questions revolve around whether or not my '05 has the upgrades made to other '05 6.0L PSD's. Does anyone know the cut-off dates? This also has the Banks Six Gun, exhaust and other goodies. Pictures speak--unfortunately I can't figure out how to upload!
Thanks again.
Patrick Pilcher

Welcome...I'll make sure our resident Lift Guru gets this and helps steer you in the proper direction.

Thanks to all of you for the welcome--sure is nice to know y'all are paying attention to the neubies.
I wanted to clarify one other thing: The '05 Excursions, for whatever reason, did not get the '05 updates made to the rest of the 6.0L PS's. I can only think because Ford knew they were discontinuing the Ex's and probably had engines in house--probably 04's(?). Once they ran out, then they brought in the newly revised 6.0's. What I need to know is if anyone knows the date cut-off or at what VIN they started with the enhanced motors. From what I read, power output, mileage remained the same. It had to do with relatively superficial egr related things--however the one BIG thing they did was to update the bearing surface in the impeller shaft of the turbo--more surface area, less flex, better long-term wear. Does anyone have any idea as to what options exist to either retrofit the updated turbo, or does anyone know what other turbo's are out there that could be substituted. Money IS an object, so I am not looking for some high dollar, esoteric fix. This also has a rear sway bar--does anyone know when they made these standard?

Welcome!:rockwoot:

Sounds like a real nice X you have there!!

Ben

Welcome to the site :rockwoot:

I'm in IL as well......right by Fox Lake.

Anyways, if the main reason you want to lower the truck is due to the step in height, you can get some AMP Research steps. They are electric and automatically drop down when the doors are opened. From the door sill to the step is approx. 14".

If you just want it lower, I'd recommend going with the Donahoe Racing hanger and shackle system. Very well built, and the DR shocks are the way to go.

For tires....I like Toyo M/Ts, Kuhmo M/Ts, BFG Muds, etc..

Welcome Bigredex..carfeul with the site.....its hard to stay off this thing

Guys....Ive seen this excursion in person last weekend when he came and bought my stock suspension and let me tell you......this thing is sweet.

Bigredex's progress report...

This has been a very helpful site. Rob, thanks for turning me on to some of the people and products. My saga continues--need some thoughts.
I am going from the 7" lift/37" tires down to a 4" Pro-Comp, (w/front spring packs) system.
I am looking for a ride which won't bounce the coffee out of my cup when driving...this is a serious challenge.
I found a new Rancho 9000 series air controller, (new in box w/lines, compressor, dash unit, etc.) and was thinking about going with the RS series shocks so I can adjust ride when this Pro-Comp kit came along on eBay for a decent price...I'd already bought a stock suspension from a '04 F250 SD, and a set of rear helper springs, (Pro-Comp also) so now I have 3 suspensions! Cripes.
The Pro-Comp system comes with their shocks also--gas charged, single units. Has anyone had experience with these shocks?
I'd like to run the 4" with the Rancho air suspension--has anyone done this? This way I get the lift, with a decent ride. On top of this I found a set of Velvet ride rear shackle blocks--these really give a good ride from everyone I talked to. I have a second set of these if anyone is interested. (The company has since gone out of business, so they are rare and hard to find.)

Lastly--I am still getting used to this thing but want to know if any of y'all experience a "moaning" type of sound when in fifth at speed and get into the throttle enough to excel but not enough to get it to kick down. I have the Banks Six Gun and this sounds like I am putting the drivetrain under a serious "bind" with the torque load. No chatter or grinding or metallic sounds of any kind, just sounds like a pitch change soundwise and slightly seat of pants vibration wize... Is this what some refer to as axle-wrap? Am I just hearing the the change in pitch tied to the rear diff rotating somewhat due to being under a load? Am I making this clear? If I can get it to kick down right away, it doesn't do it, or I'm not hearing it due to the added noise of RPM's, tires, wind, etc..
The engineer in me believes this is due to either the excessive spring block height in the rear causing the diff to torque moreso than stock--thus make more noise. The other thought is that I am hearing/feeling the torque being transmitted through the driveshaft and u-joints--they don't seem to be at an extreme angle, but it is more than stock. I'll put it this way...I would not be comfortable doing burn-outs the way this is set-up. As it is, when I get the sensation, I just ease out of the throttle a little--alleviates the bind. :bang So I am thinking this is just everything kind of loading up under torque. Anyway--I'd appreciate your thoughts and insights on both the suspension and the noise. BTW, the noise is not excessive--I just have a sensitive arse for this stuff.
Okay...so I will wait with baited breath for you experts to tell me that this Pro-Comp, Rancho, Velvet ride, could work fairly well. If so, I'll have some stuff for sale--I will regardless. Thanks in advance. :thankyou2:

Back