New and WANT a diesel

jhuck

Great site! I'm looking to get a diesel sometime next year (wife's car will be paid for) and I must admit, I know nothing about them. A buddy of mine has a 99 Dodge with a cummins and we drove it from Alabama to Wisconsin 2 March's ago. After that trip, I decided my next truck would be a diesel. I'll be getting something pre-owned so my question to you all who are in the know is...what would be the best bang for the buck in an older truck? I keep hearing how reliable and long lasting a diesel is so I want to know which is best (I imagine that could start an argument:evil ). What would be too many miles? Any and all info would be great on what and where to look for.
Thanks
Huck

I was probably in the same place you are about 3 months ago. I bought my brothers 96 12V and have fallen head over heels in love. I learn something new about diesels every day and have already learned so much in just the last 3 months. First thing would be what price range can you afford. The GOOD news is that you've already ridden in the one and only diesel that matters, the Dodge CTD LOL... (that's where the fight will start :P), but just go from there.

It all depends on what your end goal is. Daily driver, work truck, or future modified monster lol.

You'll LOVE it!
Enjoy and WELCOME to Comp D!

Welcome to Comp D!

If you want the best bang for your buck in an older truck (that rymed LOL) I would go with an older Dodge with a 12 valve Cummins.

Thanks guys. This will probably end up being a daily driver unless I keep old reliable little ranger. I drive about 30 miles one way to work so fuel mileage is important to me. My 01 Pathfinder 4x4 gets about 17mpg interstate (18.5 if I'm gentle) which ain't too bad...if it were a big truck :)

I would like for it to not be a daily driver but chances are it will have to be. I can't carry a baby seat in my reg cab ranger so something with a back seat is where I'll have to put my 11month old.

I really won't be pulling that much with it. Right now I have a 14ft trailer that I haul my 2 atv's with. However, I like to make cross country trips with them. That's what put me and my buddy in Wisconsin last year and might go as far as Idaho in 09. We travel all over riding quads. I want my truck to reliable for the long haul.

Once my wife's car is paid for and I dump the Pathfinder, I'd like to find something well under the 20K mark (depending on mileage). I'm looking for that Grampaw that bought one and only drove to church on sundays :)

I've heard lots of good stuff about the Dodge with a 12v Cummins, so I guess that is where I'll start my search.

Keep the advice coming guys. I appreciate it.
Huck

Ok, with the right tow vehicle, I might tow a lot more if the oppurtunity presents it's self.

Well, I dont know about 500, you would have to ask a 12v guru. BUT, alot of mods to the 12v are FREE or very cheap. I know that you can get a good set of injectors for like half the price of some for the newer motors. Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

Welcome to COMPD hard to beat a 12v for reliability, mpg, cost, tuneability etc etc!

Back