New ball joints stiff knuckle

hondarider

Working on a friends 2000 dodge 2500 4x4 and after installing a set of lower and upper ball joints, the knuckle is very hard to turn. I understand ky should have some sort of resistance but not this much. I did a set of ball joint on my 03 a while back and don't recall having this issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Pete

What was your final torque setting on the bottom joint?

Sequence is to torque lower to 35 then upper to 70 then back to the lower at 150.

I will try that tmr. I appreciate the quick response. If it's still tight any idea why? I'm figuring something to do with the upper due to it doesn't pivot..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably too tight on the upper.

Loosen nuts back up. Whack with a hammer at the knuckle to free the joint then retorque. Joint should have some resistance but not loosie goosie.

Currently it's tight. Never had this issue before. Did some research and seems like it's common on 2nd gens? When I did ball joints a few times on my 03 the knuckle was free after torque. I'll re try tmr. Once again appreciate the help.

Thanks
Pete

Thanks for the help they move a lot better now!

Good deal. I've seen this on 2nd gens. Some have issues with the steering returning to center while firing because they are so tight

Where did you get your ball joints from? What brand are they? I've had some cheaper ones where the taper was too small and knuckle was tightening up against the control arm.

They are just mid grade from carquest auto parts store.