New brake pads on cut rotors now bad vibration

INDSLPWR04

I got almost 40K on my PS and I had to replace the brakes because the inner pads on the front and back of the driver side were gone. I had all 4 rotors cut and now I have a bad vibration only when applying the brakes and a shimmy right before the truck comes to a stop. I put the best ceramic pads NAPA had on it and I watched the rotors being cut. They were done slowly and cut straight. Outside of all 4 and the inside of 2 took 1 cut to smooth out and the inside of the other 2 took about a dozen very light cuts. They are still way in spec. I also rotated the tires at the same time. Any thoughts?

I got almost 40K on my PS and I had to replace the brakes because the inner pads on the front and back of the driver side were gone. I had all 4 rotors cut and now I have a bad vibration only when applying the brakes and a shimmy right before the truck comes to a stop. I put the best ceramic pads NAPA had on it and I watched the rotors being cut. They were done slowly and cut straight. Outside of all 4 and the inside of 2 took 1 cut to smooth out and the inside of the other 2 took about a dozen very light cuts. They are still way in spec. I also rotated the tires at the same time. Any thoughts?

Brake pads should wear evenly....If the inside of the pad is worn far more than the outside, you've got additional trouble.

Best case scenario: Your slide pins are frozen/stuck. Take out the two bolts that hold the caliper onto the bracket and lift the caliper. The "pins" that the bolts go into should move back and forth freely (my guess is yours don't).

Now, if you can't get them free, replace your calipers.

All the pins were free. I had to push and hold them out some to get the caliper back on after the new pads went on. My buddies truck wore them the same way.

These are what I'm talking about:

567537.jpg

354115.jpg

You might try putting the tires back to where they were as well. I've had a rear that was out of whack and didn't bother a thing....until it got rotated to the front.

No it was the rotors. They must have had a bad cut. They had an odd texture to them when i removed them. They looked like the pad compound was building up on the rotors. I got all 4 rotors from Napa for $147. I got the good ones. They refunded me the money for the labor of cutting the old ones.

Here is what my old rotors looked like after they were cut with 70 miles on them.

IMG00134-20090922-1859.jpg

IMG00136-20090922-1859.jpg

Back