New build!

Kphilpott

P.I.T.A.
Me and my buddy (jlafollette07) on here started turning his truck into a single cab shortbed tonight. This week so far we haven't gotten much done since he has to run the shop all week. Only have the long bed off and the short bed sat on as of tonight.

Tomorrow's plan is to pull the cab and cut the frame. We plan on taking plenty of pictures and posting a pretty good build thread. We found there's not much info out there on shortening the frame on a third gen. We'll put measurements and everything needed to make this work as we go.

Should be a pretty fun project and the truck will sure look a lot better once it's done!

Why are you going to pull the cab? Looking forward to this one. I love rcsb's.

The only reason he bought the truck was to do this conversion. He talked himself out of it for a while but he can't stand to look at the long bed anymore.

The reason for pulling the cab is because the frame under it is the only straight section on the whole frame that won't change any angles when you cut a section out and weld it back together

Shortbedguy has a few trucks he has done and posted about, threads I've seen him do r sec gens though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk el jefa

The only reason he bought the truck was to do this conversion. He talked himself out of it for a while but he can't stand to look at the long bed anymore.

The reason for pulling the cab is because the frame under it is the only straight section on the whole frame that won't change any angles when you cut a section out and weld it back together

I see. I have always seen guys just do it under the bed on 2g trucks.

Everything we measured this morning with the bed on showed to cut 20 inches out. Almost have the cab and doghouse off now. Hopefully we'll have the frame cut and tacked back in place tonight. We also cut 4 inches out off the back of the frame to get the bed to sit down right.
u7yjenyq.jpg
aresuget.jpg
hyzamudy.jpg

We got the cab off today and got the only bed mount that goes cut off. We also cut the crossmember that holds the rear of the cab off. Got everything measured and marked to cut in the morning. It got to late to make that much noise tonight since his shop is in the middle of town.

7yvepude.jpg

Cutting 20 inches out right under the cab out of a section that looks like a factory extension. Hopefully have it cut welded and started back together tomorrow! It's gonna be a fun and busy weekend for sure.

He did it while I was gone getting tools but he said it was pretty easy. A/C lines, power steering lines, battery grounds, brake lines, steering shaft, shifter and tcase shifter. He said it was about like pulling the cab on a 6.0.

He pulled it in a couple hours. It only took that long because he wanted to be sure to undo everything that connects them.

I did the same thing to my 05, cut 20" same place
then 2" from rear of frame. I used a 25gal tank from
short bed 1500. I made fish plates from 3/8" 12L14 metal.
I didn't lift cab off, only jacked up. Took 2 weekends from
start to finished. Mine is a 2wd.

Last edited:
Got the frame cut all ground down and cleaned up and ready to weld now. We're waiting on my uncle to come weld it for us since he's a better welder lol.

He's using a tank from a short bed 1500 also. He went ahead and put a fuel sump on it before we put it in.
a7a2y4ev.jpg
aqymaneh.jpg

He's using a tank from a short bed 1500 also. He went ahead and put a fuel sump on it before we put it in.

Lookin good so far!

Now I know this sounds like a no sh*t kinda comment but wouldn't want to see anyone forget and screw up, but y'all did have that 1500 gas tank cleaned to ensure ALL the gas residue and such is out of it correct?!

Yeah he cleaned it good after he cut the hole for the sump to get all the plastic and junk out of it

I don't feel like we've done bad for 24 hours of real work. Frame is welded and we're fitting the rear cab mount now
se4usy4e.jpg
unyhe9u4.jpg

Last edited:
y2ynemam.jpg

End of day two
Frame is cut and welded back all welded areas are repainted and the top side of the entire frame is painted.
Exhaust is cut to fit back on and the new fuel tank is in.
Got the cab sat back down and started hooking everything up before we decided we had enough done for the day and called it good.

We have seriously busted ass to get it this far in this short of time.

All that's left is hooking everything back up, making a new return line for the fuel. Modifying the brake line and a few other minor details. His driveshaft will be done either Monday or Tuesday and the bed will hopefully be done by the weekend.

I can't wait until his driveshaft is done so we can take this thing for a test ride!

55mph rolling burnouts were a success today!

On a closed course with a professional driver of course! LOL