New Chevy Owner

milesengineer

Just picked up a 2005 3500. I think I am correct in assuming it is an LLY. Previous owner dropped a screwdriver bit and extension into the engine and started it up hoping it would fall out. Well 19k dollars later it has a crate engine from GM and is sitting in my driveway.
Coming from a lot of hi-po cummins trucks I am completely lost on this thing. I need some help with economy. It is terrible, even compared to our 3500 Dodge with 200hp sticks, twins, adrenaline and and a host of other parts. Towing a featherlite open one car we got an average of 12.1mpg on a 1600 mile trip loaded one way with a durango. We never drove over 70mph. The dodge would get 13-14 all day long at 72. What can be done to make it better and not damage the tranny?

Trying to justify the new truck to myself. The dodge has 350k miles on it and has given us very few issues. Thanks in advance.

Yes a 2005 is a lly simple stuff like exhaust and a good efi live tune from a good tuner will help a lot also I recommend dustin from diesel addiction. The factory intakes are pretty efficient up to 500 hp. If you get on dmaxcentral.com there are a few threads on basic stuff to do for.hp and economy. Enjoy the truck

thanks for the advice. I have been researching and gotten myself lost. If I get the afe intake do I also need the lbz mouthpiece, or does the afe unit come with a less restrictive one? or does the s&b intake have the less restrictive mouthpiece? there are so many people that do so many different things that I dont know which way is the best.

thanks again

The intakes do not come with a mouth piece u use the factory one. The best thing to do is order a Lbz s&b intake and get on gm parts direct or contact a vender here and get a Lbz mouth piece they are a lot bigger and flow more air then the mouth piece afe makes for the lly. I prefer s&b because of price and they filter just as good as afe good luck with the truck if you need anything else shot me a pm

aftermaket is your friend here, but the kicker is my dad brought his 05 new adn it didnt start seeing any good mileage til it had over 50,000 miels on her.
got 14ish stock 3/4 ton, after 50 it started getting 15ish over 60 got 16ish and thats where it pretty much stays at.

his is all stock

my cummins never really seem to get better mileage til 80-100k. after that i will gain a couple mpg.

today i got an edge w/ attitude, mainly cause it was cheap, and picked up about 1.5 mpg hauling the same trailer around. leaving it on level 1 and fuel at 3. Big improvement on take off. Also got the lbz mouthpiece. Will put it on tomorrow and see what improvements, if any, I get. thanks for all the help guys.

ok, a little update.

with the edge on level 1 fuel 3 i have picked up 1.9 mpg.

edge and s&b intake picked up 2.3 mpg

edge, s&b and 4' mbrp with muffler picked up 2.5mpg.

this is towing an open featherlite 1 car trailer and a mix of cars and suv's.

the edge really helped the power but the combo of air filter and exhaust have helped the throttle response and low end torque tremendously. i wasnt impressed with the truck before all the mods but since the mods i have found myself wanting to drive it more.