New guy in Beaverton Oregon

1939dodge

Still Learning
Hey,

I am a member on several other forums, I was running some searches for how to rebuild my trans and this one kept coming up. There is a bunch of good info so I decided to join

I am building a 1939 Dodge 1.5 Ton flatbed truck, I am installing a modified and upgraded cummins 12V, air ride suspension, WVO, this is a complete frame off restoration and so much more.

Hope to meet some of you,

-Ryan

My Truck

As it came...
phoca_thumb_l_39-side.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_39-front.jpg

Rear axle finally off the semi truck frame, still have to take off the springs etc
phoca_thumb_l_IMG_0078.jpg

Every big a$$ truck needs a lift gate
phoca_thumb_l_IMG_0034.jpg

I finally have the engine mounts in and engine in place
phoca_thumb_l_IMG_8510.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_IMG_8507.jpg

Inside the cab view, I had to move in the firewall a bit, build up the floor
phoca_thumb_l_IMG_8509.jpg

It is back from blasting and a thick coat of primer was applied
phoca_thumb_l_Emerald%20048.jpg

Not bad, no rust through or Bondo
phoca_thumb_l_Emerald%20051.jpg

New floor, I do not have shaping tools so I had to weld it together (be nice)
phoca_thumb_l_IMG_8638.jpg

Rear Axle bag mounts the can is for size reference, the rear axle will handle 19,000lbs
phoca_thumb_l_bag%20on%20mount.jpg

Entire frame boxed in with 1/4" plate, tacked in then stitched the entire length. I also took time to cool so the frame did not warp.
phoca_thumb_l_drivers%20side%20boxing2.jpg

Cross members that were riveted were welded in addition and will be further stiffened.
phoca_thumb_l_frame%20welds.jpg

Rear upper 4-link mount, the ground is wet from water used to keep the heat down, not leaking oil.
phoca_thumb_l_Rear%20Axle.jpg

One side of the 4-link in place (turns out I need to move it now)
phoca_thumb_l_Rear%204-link%20Side.jpg

That is some of the photos and progress...

I am going through the engine now I ported and am honing the head, cleaning up the rust in the coolant side, then I will need to obtain some upgrades, a compound turbo before re-assembly. I hear Zack from Hamilton cams is on here...

Last edited:
Thank you both! I suppose I should put together a build thread here, I have several on other boards I have been keeping up.

I am looking for suggestions on how to proceed with the engine overhaul. Just like everyone I want everything but don't have the budget, but I have some time and the entire engine is all taken apart, bagged and tagged. I do not need this truck to get me around right now, but when done I will pack up my life and haul everything from Oregon to New Mexico where there is sun. That means it needs to be tough and reliable and have good fuel economy. To that end I will be running WVO as well.

Thanks, I am just taking it one step at a time... this is the first truck I ever worked on so there is a huge learning curve. I like challenges.

Cool project!!! Also, welcome to CompD, sorry I missed this thread originally (I was scrambling to get ISSPRO's stuff ready for SEMA at that time). When I needed to form a piece like your floorpan (it was for replacing rusted out floorboards in my Blazer), I used a rubber mallet and a sandbag. I could "pre-form" the sandbag a little into the shape, and also prop it up with blocks underneath, it worked pretty well.

Thanks, I have since seen more of that sandbag method... my way worked I like the look but it could have been done in one piece. I had one I had before this one that was beaten but the steel I am working with is very thick and I was not getting what I wanted fast enough. Owh well as I said I am still learning.

Back