New Guy - Raleigh, NC '06 E450 ambulance cummins swap

yager

New Guy - Raleigh, NC E450 ambulance cummins swap

Hi, was directed here by some friends, seems this is the diesel equivalent to pirate4x4 in the 4x4 world...

Here's where I'm at.
Full/long story located at pirate4x4.com
[VRAY 2006 E450 - Ambulance Cummins Diesel Swap - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

But basically converting an ambulance into an RV, AND swapping in a 5.9.
Van is 2006 w/ 102k, stock 6.0 has long wrap sheet of repairs by ford. EGR blew just before I was to drive it from Tx to NC. I flew down with parts, we repaired and I drove it 1200 miles home. Ran good actually 13mpg on the trip. quiet, nice to drive... But in my quest for a reliable RV I decided I'd take reliability and longevity over performance. I bought a '94 dodge 4x4/auto w/ 62k for 'parts' to do the swap.

Some background on bus: Currently weighs 10,100# empty (scaled), figure 11k when conversion is done, removed lots of stuff and adding stuff back in.
Will be pulling 6k, trailer w/ jeep on it (high est.) Lighter depending on ending weights of trailer and jeep. Stock D80 w/ 4.10s rear disks etc..

Plans call for 250hp, kdp fix, head gasket, better bolts (not studs due to van chassis) and some other minor stuff.

Initial plans were to reuse the 5r110, w/ adapters, converter, controller etc..
When I purchased parts truck it has 47RH trans, thoughts shifted to beefing that, converter, input etc.. Thoughts shifter back/forth..

Currently looking at NV4500 swap. Yes 5600 is 'better' but just don't see the cost/benefit for what I need. I tow at speed limit 65/70 or slower, I don't mind falling off on hills as needed. I'm not one to clog traffic when I'm towing.
Clutch pedal will be doable w/ early 90s manual trans econoline pedal box. (looking for one now)

So I'm hear to seek guidance as I hit stumbling blocks along the way.

Currently working on stripping down parts truck to get it out of my driveway.
Then sell/remove 6.0 and/or 5r110 trans..

Also looking for 12v industrial/bus/ford exhaust manifold w/ low/under rear turbo mount.

Hi !

:welcome:

I have thought abou this a lot. I will definately be watching you! Btw, for the cost of a 4500, I would seriously look into a G56 just for the 6 gears alone. Shifts smooth too!

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

Back