New Guy

78cumminscrew

Hi, fairly new to the thread. Working on Resto-modding a 78 Dodge Crew Cab From gas to diesel swap, or as I call it project overkill as it will be engineered and built from ground up. Using 4th Gen frame. Cummins and 6speed manual 4x4. Pictures to come-Currently in state of collecting all major and important parts to get this truck built.

78 Dodge Crew Cab Fire Fighter Truck. Originally 400 4speed Full Time 4x4. Heres some pictures of the truck when I got it. In Need of total Restoration from ground zero/project overkill as I call it. I work as a technician

Project Overkill Details:

Powertrain-
*24v cummins p-pump-Hoping to hit 1600-1800 Ft Lbs of Torque,6 Speed Manual tranny

Chassis
*2013 1 ton Frame and axles-All New through Work.
*Lift Kit and possibly might need body lift for cab clearance around frame.
*4 Corner Air Ride Suspension along with 1 ton factory suspension-Will have to look into that.
35" Tires and Custom Built Old School Ram charger rims black and chrome-not sure yet

Interior:
4th Gen Floorboards(Chemicals rotted out oem floorboards-but this will position cab perfectly onto 4th gen frame and give me in floor storage for a beer cooler :)
*98-02 dash, HVAC, power windows,locks, keyless entry.
*Custom Door panels-Another thing I will have to look into.
*RV Front bucket seats and RV Rear Bench all heated
* All Doors,Floors, & firewall inside the cab will be sound dampened to the specs of a limo so only thing I will hear from outside will possibly be spooling turbo. slight exhaust or maybe jake brakes siniging...

Exterior
*Gonna test Fit and see if I can make 3rd gen tow mirrors Look Factory on a First Gen-as I will not destroy a clean looking truck with those ugly 3 point old school tow mirrors that clutter up the door as I will need to see around my 40ft enclosed trailer and oem mirrors just don't give wide enough view for my liking as well as eliminate those wing/smoker mirrors.

*Challenger Hood
*2 tone Paint scheme that nobody else has used on a crew cab that I've seen yet and all lettering will be white and painted--no stickers.
* Power Wagon Will be painted on in center of Tailgate

Well that's all I can think of for now... Just collecting all the body parts--however need to find basically a perfect shortbox for 80-93 as im doing the newer 1st gen diesel look to have the intercooler for a diesel and the 91-93 dodge grill.. as This Truck I refuse to have patch panels or bondo anywhere... It will take a few years to build but something to strive on and I can call my master piece

Attachments

• 78 crew cab  exterior.jpg
    78 crew cab exterior.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-04-07 14.43.23.jpg
    2013-04-07 14.43.23.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-04-07 14.41.28.jpg
    2013-04-07 14.41.28.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-04-07 14.43.04.jpg
    2013-04-07 14.43.04.jpg