New here from AK

Nexxussian

Hello, I'm new here, but have been on other diesel forums for a while.

I have read several informative threads here and thought I should sign up.

I have an Isuzu NPR diesel truck that I've been tweaking the performance on, hence most of the reading on how to uprate the output of a diesel without blowing it up.

So far I have a HY35W on it, with some pump mods and 3" exhaust with a Dynomax straight through (giant glass pac basically) "muffler".

I also have a pyrometer, boost gauge, trans temp and working on getting a tach hooked up (or working, whichever you prefer).

I've been looking at different turbo setups as I've gotten to where the HY35 won't fully clean up the smoke and it's running higher EGT (pre turbo) than I'd like to see (1250*-1300* F at full load, climbing hills).

I've got a HX30W and was thinking of screwing that on over a 60mm 6 or 7 blade HX40, or perhaps a S360, with a larger charge cooler (for both flow and cooling capacity).

I've read several reports about that combination elsewhere (with the '40, haven't heard of anyone trying it with a S360) as being a broad power range that starts making boost just off idle.

While I could put water injection on (I'm not opposed to it), I would like to feed the engine some more air, first.

I've also heard of using a HX55 or HX52 under the HY35, but I would prefer the boost to come in sooner than it does now with the HY as a single.

I use the truck for one long road trip, once a year, to Bonneville UT.

I'm tired of getting passed by bicyclists going up hills. (ok, not quite that bad, but you get the idea).

Ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Off to read some more now, thanks. :)

welcome...and AK to Bonneville is quite a hike!!!! Do you run something else there?

Thank you both, yes, my father and I run a heavily modified 1956 Berkeley, stretched 2 or 3 feet (PO did that so we don't know exactly how much), a Peugeot 2L gasser, GM Powerglide trans and a 7 1/4" Crhrysler rear axle. (no joke when I said "heavily modified" ;) )

SpecialCourseLineup.jpg

Not my pic, some folks called "The Gear Grinders" posted that, I'll see about a link to them (seems fair, to properly give credit).

Edit:

Here: Website Coordinators Willie Sheri Buchta - History

Last edited: