New Here From Babylon Long Island

mrnpstr

Hey All, hope everyone is doing ok.
I own a 2005 Dodge Ram with 5.9 Diesel engine, Automatic 410 gears 72k miles

Mike

Last edited:
05 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel "smoker"

Hey all,
I own a 05 as noted above, I purchased it new in 05.
In 07 I added a TS performance MP8 power play, seemed to make extra power.
after a while I stopped using the unit and removed it (it was a plug and play device) The truck currently has 72k miles on it.

Ever since the truck was new the motor would smoke under hard acceleration, but would quickly clear up.
About 2 years ago, I noticed that the motor would smoke under hard acceleration and the smoke would "not" clear up, it would just keep smoking till you let off the throttle.
Coincidently approximately 2 years ago my local dealer performed a transmission service and Blew up the Transmission, (dont know if this has anything to do with my current problem)
I noticed over the last year or so that the engine smokes under normal acceleration, and driving conditions.
I was informed that this is normal for a diesel to smoke, however this truck did not do this when purchased new.
I am being told the injectors need to be replaced, I have also been told that the engine is over fueling.
fuel economy seems to be down somewhat

Routine maintenence is done regulary.
I now use stanadyne fuel treatment every tank full (was using Amsoil Diesel fuel concentrate)
Fuel filter is replaced every 5k
Air filter is synthetic type and is cleaned constantly.
Engine Oil is Mobile Delvac 15w--40w (just recently changed from Amsoil synthetic series 3000 5w--30w diesel oil).
I was changing the oil once a year (approximately 10K miles, and the oil filter (K&N) twice a year every 5k miles)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the dealers and chrysler are no help in this matter.

I still love my diesel truck.

Thanks
Mike

Welcome glad your here. As to your ?, you need to post it in the correct area so someone can answer it for ya. Some people don't read these threads in this forum.

Back