new here - looking to purchase my first Diesel Truck!

DZZL Power

Hey Guys,

I have been in the diesel world for years in smaller vehicles and have owned mayn TDI VW's and work on and erbuild many 4cylinder turbo diesel engines.

I have had the need for a pickup for some time - so I purchased a ford Ranger just over a year ago - for negligible cost - and some weekend work it is a great running truck. I now drive it daily when not driving my VW TDI Golf.

BUT... the need for a bigger and better pickup has been araound for a while and I have been reading up and looking at getting a Diesel Pickup truck for some time.

I am leaning towards a Diesel Dodge Cummins.... I havent decided on the year and have since been relatively educated in some of the available engine models..

I am still not entirely sure if I should hold out for a really nice shape 12V or what year(s) if any I should avoid.

I HAVE read about the infamous '053' block to avoid and other than that the costs of repairing / replacing a IP or lift pump on some of the later 24V engine models.

It would be nice I suppose to get into a Common Rail engine model but they begin to get pricy.

I intend to be doing all of the work on my RIg - but woudl like to find the appropriate 2500 I think.

would like to hear all opinions!

Last edited:
what are the 1998 12V's like??

I am considering a couple of higher mileage 98 12Valves...

Southern trucks that look very clean...
what were the 5spd 4x4 drive trains like on these?

anything to look out for?

what is a reasonable price for a 12V that is very clean extended cab, 5spd, 4x4?

That depends on what's been done to it, mileage. I have a intro thread I just put up with pics of my 98 12v 5spd high mileage and I absolutely love it paid 12000, and thought it was a good price.

What is this thread? Looks like an f-ing newby fest! A quick search will answer your basic questions. :welcome:

Last edited:
What is this thread? Looks like an f-ing newby fest! A quick search will answer your basic questions. :welcome:

just looking to gather some kowledge from those more experienced than myself...
I have soo many questions - I dont know what to search for....

i got my 94 12v for 4000 bucks...260K miles its the best truck ive ever owned.

Back