new injectors same problem 911

ehdodge

2003 5.9 makes ticking noise at idle that sounds like a hydraulic lifter when its out of adjustment.
Shop said i needed new injectors and replacex with new bosch 50hp. Had them check wear on pushrods,crossheads just in case. Replaced one rocker assembly.
Truck ran and idled even better than when new with better fuel mileage for a few weeks then ticking came back and rough idle and worse fuel mileage.
Replaced fca on injector pump and now truck is surging intermittently while driving since new fca. Fass titanium putting 13psi after the filters.
Working out of town and cant find anyone with any answers . Any help is Greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

About three weeks after new injectors when the ticking started again,A buddy put his snap on scan tool on the truck and would intermittently lose communication with ecm.
Checked ecm connections and both were loose with water and oil inside, i cleaned with electric contact cleaner and used di- electric grease and it worked but not for long.
Another shops scanner would not communicate with the ecm either and blamed that on my smarty.
I thought smarty was not supposed to leave a footprint

what makes you think smarty does?

so it ran fine for a while??? have you double checked the valve lash? how does it run otherwize?

The second shop implied that smarty does. A bonus selling point to me was that smarty says that it would be undetectable, i assume that means no footprint. I originally said it started ticking after a few weeks but actually drove the truck for a month or so then the shop that put in injectors had me bring it in to recheck the valves after new rocker assembly broke in. Truck runs good but fuel mileage is down a couple mpg when this is going on and that sound concerns me about wear problems. Oil analysis says all ok. I even asked if possibly cam could be going flat but been going on so long that it would be really obvious by now
runs good but doesnt seem guite as strong and then there is the surging problemurging that comes and goes and does idle rougher

Last edited:
Have you checked the Number 4 injector line at all?.

When the clamp on the line is loose and the line is allowed to move even the slightest it will create a tick that will drive you crazy tracking down.Ma Mopar has updated these lines a couple times to prevent this and the subsequent breaking of the line which is very prone to happen.

Not sure if this is even related to the current problems or not but sometimes at idle the turbo whistles out the exhaust like pre common rail cummins did and the rest of the time just has that crappy common rail sound with no whistle. Whats up with that

Back