New intercooler boots

Harris

I split one of the silicon boots on my intercooler just wondering if anyone recommended any good places or brands to replace mine with?

I'm in the same boat. I blew an aftermarket boot 3 weeks ago, replaced it with a boot I had laying around that said "extreme psi". Yeah right, one time towing and it blew out so harsh that I had to remove the hood insulation because of the huge hole that it created. Hope the one I found holds better than this last one.

Stockers have been holding for me around 60psi. We will see how long that lasts!

The one I keep losing is the 3"x2 3/4" from the top charger to I/C pipe. I think heat is an issue as well, since the last one seemed to just expand and then blew out instead of splitting like they normally do.

*side note, it seems that all of them I have seen blow seem to split and blow violently. Just my experience.

Anyone have input of heat difference on the hot side from twins to a single? I would think the temp could be higher with two compressors instead of one, but by physics it should be the same if you are compressing to the same psi?

One thing to consider is the intercooler in the stock manner, bar plate works better in the aftermarket such as a Speaco. PSI difference I have seen between the two is around 8 psi lower with aftermarket. But the head flow dictates this. Each truck will be different.

My problem was blowing the boot at the intercooler normally splitting it down the side and yes like Chris said I think it is due to excessive heat and the bend in the boot.

But I have a 2nd gen and have bend boots in the system unlike the 3rd it has straight boots. In twins some will not use enough hump boots to allow for this.

Mr.BobsDistributing carries only high quality, 5 ply silicone boost hoses. Also, turbohoses.com makes high quality silcione hoses for MANY application, including the DoD. Neither of them are cheap quality OR price. There are MANY other internet sites that sell silcione hoses much cheaper, but they ARE cheaper quality hoses and won't put up with the boost the mighty cummins can make. Go with one of the two names above.

I had mine split right after the charger. Got 4 from "mr bobs" and put a exhaust band clamp around it to keep it from expanding lol. No issues yet but I only see 45 psi.

Honestly I've split Mr Bob, Silicone Intakes and Airflo's 5 ply. Then I made my own intercooler and changed the angle of the tubes on the intercooler slightly and went with rubber hoses and problem gone.

I had good luck with PDR/Peaks boots back '07ish when it mattered, were tough to get on but didnt blow off and most important lasted without splitting. dont know how they have been since.

had good results with PDR boots..

peak now, and so far my BD ones hold, but haven't been above 35 psi.. My PDR ones held 80 psi just fine...

The old style pdr boots are best ive used to date harder rubber/kevlar the newer style more silicone type are still good just not as good.. Ive also used the vuican boots there just thick and harder to finess on some of the piping.. BD, mr. Bobs, peak i havent had much luck with

Back