New member with performance ?s

CanadianCarGuy

First of all, wow, awesome forum, wish I would have know about this site sooner! Good to see that there are many other diesel power junkies out there as well. I have a 98.5 24 quadcab with a steadily growing amount of mods.
I have DTT trans, 90hp sticks, edge comp + smarty stack, filterless FASS 95, HRVP44 (throwing 216 codes), water/meth, S300/S400 twins, and heater grid delete.

I am getting ready to do my valvespring, studs, and gonna experiment with cometic phuzion head gasket, also helix 2 cam going in. Not sure what injectors I will upgrade to yet. I will be sending in my hrvp to get rebuilt under warranty, but I have heard so much about this Monster VP, I am really curious to try one. So my question is where can I get one, how much, and what exactly is needed to do to the fuel system to support such a thing (dual lift pump setup??). Also is it worth trying to daily drive one of these things?

CanadianCarGuy

CanadianCarGuy said:
I have heard so much about this Monster VP, I am really curious to try one. So my question is where can I get one, how much, and what exactly is needed to do to the fuel system to support such a thing (dual lift pump setup??). Also is it worth trying to daily drive one of these things?

I wouldn't waste the $$.... There is no supporting data to suggest these pumps to what is claimes (ie. dyno sheets). The price range is between $2300-$3000 depending on version. You are also supposed to run huge injectors, crossover tubes, and larger lines. What is you HP goal?

My goal is probably the same as everyone else's, as much power as I can wring out of a vp44 while maintaining daily driving status. I would have to say around 750hp in drag race trim on #2 is my goal with the ability to turn the fuel down for street driving. If this is realistic or not, I don't know, there is no other diesel racers in my area that went beyond a box and injectors.

750 RWHP on #2 with a VP44 is unobtainable.... You could go around 650 RWHP on #2. The VP just doen't have enough fuel to provide this number without using nitrous. Als what is daily driving status? You won't be able to tow a 10K trailer at 650 RWHP but just drivinfg it around won't be a problem.

Daily driving status is a truck that has good street manners, and somewhat reliable. My truck never tows, leaves paved roads, or carries cargo; it is my toy. I was under the impression that there were VP44's out there that supported more.

Thre are VP equipped trucks that make higher than 650 RWHP but they use nitrous. One truck that did close to 700 RWHP actually did it at a dyno day but there is more to the story.... The truck did a couple runs on nitrous first then closed the valve on the bottle to do his fuel only run. During the run the nitorus activated and sprayed the nitrous in the lines and supported higher number.

how are the twins with only 90hp inj.

Id go with 220-240 inj.

If you get the cam, get it with the 12v lobe so you can run the mech lp.

Ive got everything you have and want execept a tst comp and sps 66 instead of edge and twins. I also have a nitrous set up and i run 220 inj. I only run a so pump too.

my .02

good luck

Jeremie

I left the 90hp injectors in because my head is not o-ringed at this moment, this way I can't make over 45 psi boost with the twins. I am going to get a tst comp, I already accidentally stacked the timing once, that was my decision maker right there. I have no interest in p-pumping this truck yet. Maybe if I was building another engine I would consider it. I've only just begun working on my own truck, so p-pumping is out of my league for now.

I think you mistaked what i was saying about the 12v lp. on our year truck we still have the hole in the side of the block where we can switch to the mech lp. Just ask for the 12v lobe and you can run the old mech lp. Its no more cost, atleast when i bought mine. Mine runs 27 psi idle and about 25 wot probably a little high but i dont have to wory about an eletrical shortage in the fass. not saying that is a prob with them. just a piece of mind with the mech lp.

Helix 2 with the cummins pump they use will supply more fuel than the vp44 could possibly use. I was getting 50 psi at cruise with 1/2 lines :doh: Regulators are a good thing =P